Roden 1/32 SE5a Wolseley Viper

Dear all,

Not shown much on the forum recently as I had a modelling disaster building a WNW Bristol Fighter resulting in the kit being trashed.   This was my 3rd disaster this year, so I lost confidence and faith in modelling for a while.

I was determined to get things back in order, so after my holiday I got my wife Jacquie to choose a kit to build from my very small stash.  Jacquie opted for Roden's kit of SE5a and choose the colour/marking option of Duncan Grinnell-Milne's red fuselage version.  This turned out to be a perfect choice being a pretty straightforward kit to put together - even the decals were good and went down well.   This is exactly what I needed and has worked wonders to improve my confidence again.   

In fact, I can highly recommend this kit as everything (save a tricky fit of cowlings over the engine) fits extremely well .   I've also taken things 'back to basics' in terms of modelling skills to improve on the overall finish on the kit.   As always, kit brush painted and built mostly out of box.   I did however, add some obvious missing details either by simple scratch building and also raided my spares box for some PE parts for seat harness and parts to enhance look of the Vickers MG.  Rigged with combination of Pryme knitting elastic, Ushci thread and a small amount of fishing line between the cabane struts to add a bit of structural strength to the wings.

I currently in the last stages of building Eduard's 1/48 'Weekend Edition' (another straightforward kit) Hanriot HD1 so hope to have some pictures of that to display to the forum soon.

5T6yfat.jpg

igkubZu.jpg

J7t23LG.jpg

FmelmuQ.jpg

Anyway, I hope it all looks OK.

Regards

Dave

Edited by Epeeman
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Lovely build of a great plane in a very appealing livery.

Looking forward to see your Hanriot - have it in the stash too and want to build it as Schweizer Fliegertruppen machine.

Cheers,

Michael

• Thanks 1

Is "Schweinhund" a typo on the decal or was that the correct spelling on the full scale aircraft?

To be German there should be an "e" in the middle, unfortunately I do not know the history behind.

Phantastic work, hope you overcame your frustration with this beautiful model.

• Thanks 1

This looks as good in the photos as on the modelling table Dave. It is really good news that you are back in business with your models again. If the Hanriot is as good as this (and it will be I am sure), then you will have two superb additions to your collection.

P

• Thanks 1

Good to see you back Dave, your confidence should be sky-high looking at that beauty.

I've trashed a few kits in my time (Eduard 1:48 Camel, Airfix Gladiator to name but 2), we all do it!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1