Spitfire Tr 9 PT462

Biggles87

A quick update as requested by @Max Headroom as a penance for breaking the rules in the four word thread.

More progress on the cockpits, I have added the small pieces ( covers for cables/pipes I believe ) to each sidewall just behind the instrument panel position and filled the sink marks which seem to be common to all Eduard Spitfires and started some painting, using two brush painted coats of Xtracrylic RAF grey/green.

IMG_1535IMG_1548

There are two versions of the frame with the seat mounts, with and without head armour, and I have used the ' without ' option so that I can continue construction and fit the seatbelt roller bars to a triangular Plasticard substitute at a later date. Both undercarriage operating controls have been fitted to the starboard sidewalls but only the rear throttle quadrant on the port side as the front one sits on a ' shelf ' running between the entry flap and instrument panel in the front cockpit. I have added the voltage regulator equipment below the original throttle position as in the Mk XVI. 

After dry fitting the wings to the fuselage, I found that I had to trim some plastic off the lower sides of the front instrument panel frame as it's new forward position spreads the fuselage sides out a little affecting the fit, there must be a subtle change to the fuselage cross section between the original and new IP positions. The front IP is the Yahu Mk IX (late) item on the kit frame and the rear panel and seat frame will be manufactured using spare parts and/or Plasticard.

Again not a lot to show for a week but life got in the way ( again ) so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped to, and I find cockpit painting quite time consuming. 

That's it for now.

John  :pilot:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I find cockpit painting quite time consuming

But totally worth it, I reckon :clap:

Great job on the interiors, overall :clap:

Ciao

Another lean modelling week I'm afraid, due mainly to one of our horses developing a serious eye infection which requires treatment five times a day.

What little time I did spend on the Spitfire went into producing this, which is the rear bulkhead for the back cockpit.

IMG_1562

I had originally intended to use my profile/contour gauge to get the shape, but when I eventually found it, I discovered that it had got wet at some stage and the pins were rusted in solid and could not be moved within the frame, so I had to think of something else. Eventually I found a Tamiya frame to use as a starting point, and I filed it down as much as I dared but it was still too big so I transferred the inside frame shape to a piece of card, and then to plasticard and continued filing/adjusting until I had something useable.

Having test fitted it with the seat/rudder assembly in place I discovered that very little of it will be visible anyway on final assembly.  :banghead:

More soon I hope, comments and suggestions welcome.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I lost my mojo with this build a while ago so did some outdoor stuff ( clearing brambles and fallen trees from a copse ) instead for a while, but I'm feeling better now. 

There has been a little progress and here are some photos. 

IMG_1624

I did a dry fit of the fuselage to wings and what was always a tight fit on the Eduard Spitfires has now become even tighter due to the repositioning of some internal parts, as previously mentioned. The object behind the starboard wing is a modified Tamiya Spitfire instrument panel which will form the basis of the rear IP, which I decided to try after a couple of abortive attempts at scratch building one, probably the cause of the loss of mojo. The front cockpit is now complete except for the shoulder straps and the throttle quadrant, which will fit inside the left front panel which is just taped on at the moment.

IMG_1622

All the moved/replaced panels are in place on the starboard side,  and you can see that lots of filler will be needed there before it's finished, you can also see the obligatory TET finger print. Unfortunately a lot of the fine rivet detail will be lost but I can assure you from " close up and personal " experience that there is very little evidence of it from more than a few feet away.

IMG_1623

Finally, I painted over the wing rivet detail forward of the mainspar line with Mr Surfacer 1000 and when dry rubbed it back so that just the ' pinholes ' remained filled.

IMG_1603

More soon I hope, comments and suggestions welcome.

• Like 5