Spitfire Tr 9 PT462

Biggles87

Thanks Roger and Ced, the choppng continues. I've removed the areas for the rear cockpit, but rather than post photos of every piece of plastic I remove I'll wait until I have everything in place on the fuselage halves, hopefully soon.

Thanks for the tip Silenoz, I've broken out the IPA.

John. :pilot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Styx, I just have to stick it all back together again now!

Hi Justin, welcome aboard. If you're panning one in 1/72 you could start wth the AZ kit then you would only need to change the area between the cockpits and make a new rear canopy, which would not involve as much chopping.

Jhn

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons greetings everyone.

This has proved to be a more time consuming project than I had expected and combined with many other domestic and social  demands on my time recently means that progress has been very slow. I have spent most of the time collecting components for the new rear cockpit, which have mostly come from another Eduard Spitfire ( I still have an Aires set to replace them with ) and adapting them to fit, so I will not post any photos until I have them in place and have applied some paint.

I have put everything away now until after the festivities when I might have a little more time for the important things in life.

All the best

John. :pilot:

PS Winter Solstice today, all downhill to next summer now. Yippee!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to resume this afternoon, SWMBO has gone to lunch with her gang of ' Ladies who lunch, behaving badly ' as I like to think of them and I've finished my chores. I might even post an update with pictures soon, but don't hold your breath.

Happy New Year.

John

• Like 1

I used to see PT462 now and then gracing the skies of our area(South Cheshire)transiting to or from a show when it was owned by

Anthony Hodgson as the "Dragon Flight Spitfire".

He hangared it at his private strip on his farm next to the A55 in Rhaullt,North Wales.

• Like 1

I finally got re-started, by attaching the cockpit side panels. I shortened the rear side panels at both ends so that the slots for the instrument panel and ' floor ' and rudder assembly  would fit into the correct position according to some drawings I have found . I have cemented the starboard fuselage pieces in place and filled the gap left after removing the front part of the tank with a spare cockpit door, but the port side which now consists of three smaller pieces will be easier to attach after the fuselage halve have been joined.

IMG_1530

I have also made up the rudder assembly and floor parts, seats and attached the front seat mounting brackets to the frame, I will have to make a frame for the rear seat as the supplied part will be too big.

IMG_1533

Not a lot of progress you might think, but very time consuming as the floor/rudder assemblies and seats consisted of fourteen small parts in total and my manual dexterity is not what it used to be.

More soon I hope, comments and suggestions welcome.

John  :pilot:

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I had originally intended to use Ultracast's seats with late war harness for his build but the kit seats ( which are only dry fitted in the above photos ) are so secure that I decided to  go with them  and invest in some Eduard " Superfabric " harnesses instead. I sometimes find that Spitfire seats are a little wobbly when attached only by the scale mounting points, especially with no back armour, and are easily detached. Ask me how I know!  

John  :pilot:

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 7:47 PM, DaveWilko said:

I used to see PT462 now and then gracing the skies of our area(South Cheshire)transiting to or from a show when it was owned by

Anthony Hodgson as the "Dragon Flight Spitfire".

He hangared it at his private strip on his farm next to the A55 in Rhaullt,North Wales.

The number of times I’ve driven down (and up!) Rhaullt Hill and never realised it was there.

Glad you’re back in the case John. Have you considered putting a ‘mini me’ in the rear cockpit?!

Trevor

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The number of times I’ve driven down (and up!) Rhaullt Hill and never realised it was there.

Glad you’re back in the case John. Have you considered putting a ‘mini me’ in the rear cockpit?!

Trevor

If I remember correctly Trevor,google "Rhuallt Country Caravan Park"(or similar).

When it comes up on Google Maps, copy this map co-ordinate into the search box,click onto the "sattelite" option

and then zoom in,you should see the Spit parked outside the farmhouse.

53.269117, -3.357466

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

When it comes up on Google Maps, copy this map co-ordinate into the search box,click onto the "sattelite" option

and then zoom in,you should see the Spit parked outside the farmhouse.

53.269117, -3.357466

It works!!!!!!!

Trevor

• Like 1

For the benefit of others I have done a snap from Google Earth

45954388954_3cd8863aaa_b.jpg

BUT IS THAT A BRONTOSAURUS????

Sorry for the thread drift. Move along. Nothing to see here. Well not much.....

Trevor

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

It works!!!!!!!

Trevor

Jolly good.

It must be rather nice to have a farm with a private strip,a nice farmhouse and your own personal Spit to park on the lawn.

Anthony also used to have a nice Harvard too,but I believe he sold that when he bought PT462 because he wasn't flying it,

he preferred the Spit instead(who wouldn't I wonder).

Here's the article from 2009:

http://www.paulsquires.co.uk/spitfire.html

I'm not sure what he's flying now though having parted with PT462,possibly the Twin Beech 18 mentioned above.

Sorry for plundering your thread John with all this waffle,sometimes though it's rather nice to know a little of

the recent background of your subject

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 1

Weekend plans for further progress went pear shaped yesterday when our horses decided to seek pastures new, literally.I was just about to start but decided to check on said horses first, imagine my surprise when I saw two sections of the electric fence broken and no sign of the beasts. We eventually found them two fields away grazing happily ( no grass in any of our fields ) and brought them back along the normally quiet road to the hamlet where we met two large tractors,a car travelling much too fast and a small yappy dog! After that I wasn't really in the mood.

Most of this afternoon has been spent rebuilding the fence, including bracing a corner post which was about 30deg from vertical but then I did manage a little cockpit painting, although not enough to warrant any photos.

Better luck tomorrow, I hope.

John. :wacko:

• Sad 3