Zvezda Airbus A320 Amsterdam Airlines 1:144

I’ve been really busy with work and private life lately, but things have settled down a bit so I finally managed to find some time to finish this model.

My latest build is the A320-200 from Zvezda in the colours of Amsterdam Airlines. This short-lived Dutch airline operated from 2008 until 2011.

As most of you know this model kit is really great, although I struggled a bit to get the engines attached in a straight way. Also the red is a bit too dark (I used gray primer, but should have used white instead) and the windows on the left side are a bit too low. Other than that I'm pleased with the way she turned out.

Decals are from Flevo Decals. Cockpit, window and door outlines decals are from Authentic Airliner Decals. Corogard and cargo door decals from 8A Decs.

The display bases are all 80 x 80 cm and made by myself.

My next build will be the 1:144 PS-84 / Li-2 in Aeroflot colours from Eastern Express, which (just as my DC-2) is part of a Dutch Group Build effort.

Anyway, thanks for looking and see you next time!

26b94b02506cda1a2ab6976c24c58c9e.jpg

74beec3f0abf72b2d886b33cb77365e7.jpg

19bca22108d83ab499b87a2cac34e0a5.jpg

915e1b6613fabb4dcfc88d6774f6d94a.jpg

60ec5981e86797b8fdae8488bf4c9484.jpg

570433b97f976993c7f55e3dcfcbb8b3.jpg

097d94df836ddaaf0a793a5e5488d126.jpg

2123eb1415ae32f1603a0655c0885a69.jpg

b2cad9e53e865db7e74036b9cdec90c7.jpg

b4c6b9b3006a96733f53cad7c37e7d23.jpg

156207185daf2b727b7e31de4885b9cb.jpg

c50faee7a150c3556629936fb39397a0.jpg

Edited by Malair
  • Like 21

Brilliant Martijn! Another winner, superb subtle weathering as usual and I love your new bases.

Too bad about the wrong primer for the red, I find with red and yellow especially it's essential to use white primer. Never mind, it's another lesson learned! It doesn't detract anything from your model, you just have to think the weather was a very dull that day!!

How did the 8a decs coroguard perform? Are they designed for the Zvezda kit?

I noticed Hannants have a couple of Flevo decals available at a very good price at the moment. The Dutchbird and Martinair A320 sheets.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/specials?search_direction=asc&scale_id=957

Looking forward to your Li-2!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the compliments! You're absolutely right about the primer. What’s even more frustrating is that I know that, but I was out of white at the time so I used grey temporarily with the idea of latter applying the white primer, before airbrushing the acrylic, which I then completely forgot! Like you said, lesson learned (and also it was actually pretty grey outside when taking the pictures).

The 8A decs are not specifically designed for the Zvezda kit as far as I know, but they fit perfectly.

That is a good price for those decals. Might get a few.

Thanks!

Beautiful build Martijn, very well done indeed.  I don't remember seeing that livery before.

I've always been put off the Zvezda Airbuses by the gimmicks, particularly the dropped flaps and slats which I just can't be bothered with.  I see you built your with everything retracted.  Did that give you any problems?

Dave G

Thanks for the nice words guys!

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I've always been put off the Zvezda Airbuses by the gimmicks, particularly the dropped flaps and slats which I just can't be bothered with.  I see you built your with everything retracted.  Did that give you any problems?

I was afraid of that too at first, but in the end in didn't give me any troubles at all. It is important that you keep the instruction manual at hand though, as you need to use the correct parts. The fit is excellent, so no troubles there either. The only thing is that you have to fill and sand a bit more, but that's about it. 

Having build both the Revell and now the Zvezda offerings, I do have to say that the Zvezda one is the superior kit and I would reccomend it over Revell (although the Revell kit isn't too bad either).

• Thanks 1

Very nice build. I am sure the LI-2 will not go as well, as I am in the middle of doing the same model. There are fit issues and poor moulding in the Eastern Express kit. What I found in the box is a late model DC-3, which I think is either a Minicraft clone or from their old moulds. Lots of work on the engines to make them look anything like an Li-2. I wish you luck with it.

Thanks for the compliments!

20 hours ago, robmck said:

Very nice build. I am sure the LI-2 will not go as well, as I am in the middle of doing the same model. There are fit issues and poor moulding in the Eastern Express kit. What I found in the box is a late model DC-3, which I think is either a Minicraft clone or from their old moulds. Lots of work on the engines to make them look anything like an Li-2. I wish you luck with it.

You're absolutely right. This LI-2 is a pig of a kit. Shame, because I think their other Soviet offerings (IL-18, AN-10 for example) are pretty nice. I'm going to abandon this kit in favour of Roden's DC-3 (after all, the only real difference between a Li-2 and DC-3 is the passenger door and the engine intakes.