F8F-1 Bearcat

One I finished a while back but never bothered posting, the Hobbycraft Bearcat in 1/48. I modified the cowling profile a little, added some detail to the wheel bay and used Microscale decals. Fun kit, so good I went and bought two more afterwards! 😀😀

EdqJF0t.jpg

Ytsv9wZ.jpg

Fp1aDeA.jpg

laFxIgb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chris

• Like 42

Hello Chris,

Great job on your Bearcat !

What are the cowling modifications required ?

Did you have a WiP for this kit ? I have an hobbycraft kit and a Testors one too.

I think of starting it next year so every tip is valuable to me !

Really love this little brute of a Navy bird and you make her Justice !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Chris,

Great job on your Bearcat !

What are the cowling modifications required ?

Did you have a WiP for this kit ? I have an hobbycraft kit and a Testors one too.

I think of starting it next year so every tip is valuable to me !

Really love this little brute of a Navy bird and you make her Justice !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi Corsaircorp,

Thanks for the feedback! In answer to your question about the cowling, it’s explained in the first picture of this posting (not mine):

Nothing a bit of sandpaper can’t handle! That WIP thread also shows mods to the engine bay similar to mine. Looking forward to seeing your Bearcat! :)

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, airbus320 said:

Hi Corsaircorp,

Thanks for the feedback! In answer to your question about the cowling, it’s explained in the first picture of this posting (not mine):

Nothing a bit of sandpaper can’t handle! That WIP thread also shows mods to the engine bay similar to mine. Looking forward to seeing your Bearcat! :)

Chris

Gosh, is it nearly 10 years ago I built that?

Glad it's still proving useful :)

Jonners

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. Colourful. You may or may not have seen this remarkable video. The Bearcats are too far away but other tenants of Glenview featured More modelling inspiration.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Very nice indeed. Colourful. You may or may not have seen this remarkable video. The Bearcats are too far away but other tenants of Glenview featured More modelling inspiration.

Beautiful Bearcat!  I used to fly out of NAS Glenview.  Its now mostly empty $800,000 homes.  My old Office is in the first part of the old control tower.  It is now preserved but is a high end store.

• Like 1

Yes I saw that, kids clothing isn't it? Empty 800k houses? What a waste. 

If there's a heaven it's a NAS in the fifties. Look at that flightline. 

I was in Chicago in 2016. Great city.

Edited by noelh

The Video is really interesting revealing  the weathering on a host of Navy aircraft.

Loved the exhaust stains and matt sections on the engine cowl of the corsairs and the forward gun turret arrangement on the catalina

Now I like that a lot Chris superb smooth finish,I'm on with the Panther in the Grumman GB and have it in mind to build a Bearcat as I've never

done one before I've looked at the newer releases but this one may be the way to go.

21 hours ago, noelh said:

Yes I saw that, kids clothing isn't it? Empty 800k houses? What a waste. 

If there's a heaven it's a NAS in the fifties. Look at that flightline. 

I was in Chicago in 2016. Great city.

You should have seen it in the 60s!  If we were good, my dad would take us to the edge of the airfield and we would watch their DC-7 do touch and goes.  It was really cool growing up in Park Ridge, Illinois, suburb of Chicago.  We had O'Hare Airport that flew Boxcars and KC-97s.  They'd come rumbling over the house, they looked beautiful in all silver (aluminum).  It was great to fly out of Glenview NAS as a pilot.  

• Like 1