Albatros D.V - 1:72 Airfix

Mig88

This is a kit I built back in 2006. It's an Albatros D.V flown by Manfred von Richtofen with Jasta 11. He was shot down in this aircraft on July 6th, 1917 by an RFC 20 Sqn FE2. He crash-landed behind German lines near Werwicq in Belgium with a severe head wound.

It's the old Airfix 1:72 kit (Aces edition) with Airwaves etched parts added. It was completely painted by brush with only the varnish being airbrushed. The markings were overpainted on the wings and the tail so I had to paint over the decals deliberately. The rigging is partial with some of the main wires being done and like that give the effect of being rigged.

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

Miguel

pftKbrXzEALOL7fd3wutSKQAcKY6cUhxDQOXHD_U

2oBJw1Rnayqj7zXdAGzvo6r4HvyUOgdhyk5wl0ZJ

Gpiy0F_1xCA5U69V0YixmKbK6yqUWZWeHIkNLaCn

T4_mLEsx0SSNBwbEhE8o5A0Sd627pXd24sGJ-YCP

h2P-miIRqhk618K6Qsk_r9RL17HiM-5a9ccG_ra1

• Like 25

Considering the age of that kit (ie the original moulds date from the late 1950's) you have done a remarkable job with that. The kit is basic to put it politely, but you have made a silk purse from a sow's ear!

BTW the current stae of thinking is that von Richtofen was struck on the head by a bullet from one of his comrades and not from the Fees. In the confusion of aerial warfare it was not uncommon for aircraft to be downed by friendly fire - unintentional of course. Also the Fee's were greatly respected by German pilots - see the comments on my FE 2b conversion posted on this site a couple of weels ago.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1