Avro Lancaster Details

Airborne SF

First of all let me say what a pleasure it is to ask questions on this site.  I have not been berated for stupid questions or had people argue or call me names.  This has to be the nicest forum I belong to and the answers to my questions sofar have been first rate.  Thank you everybody.

On to the Lancaster,

Question 1:  The pitot tube seems to change positions, I assume it was moved at some point.  It seems to be down by the bomb aimer in early units and then is moved to the longeron just above the bomb bay doors on the port side.  It seems to be in one place or the other, but never in both locations.  Am I correct on this?  The reason I ask is the preproduction shots of the HK kit show it in both locations. 

Question 2:  Reference the radar antenna located on both sides just forward of the cockpit, shaped like an "H".  Is this part of the H2S radar or does it have a seperate purpose.  I can't seem to find info on this in my internet searches.  Also how many aircraft carried it?  I don't see many period photos showing it.

Question 3:  How many aircraft actually carried the H2S radar?  In my research, it seems like it was very common, but most of the Lancaster photos from the war don't show it.

Thanks again for everyone's help from the misplaced Brit (my parents emigrated to the States when I was 4, I was born in Portishead, Somerset).  It is appreciated.  

Others are sure to answer these questions better than I can, but here goes.

Answer 1: Yes, there were two different styles of pitot tube used. The longer, lower one was used on earlier B.I's and B.II's. The later shorter, higher ones were on later B.I's and B.III's.

Answer 2: These are Rebecca aerials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca/Eureka_transponding_radar

Answer 3: H2S was a later fitting and only became more common in the last year or so of the war.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Thanks 1

I have 100 Squadron under taking training for H2s as early as November 1943. it was the penultimate squadron in No 1 group to be fitted with the radar. The last squadron, 101, missed out and was selected to carry 'ABC' the German broadcast system to intercept German Luftwaffe transmissions.

Early 44 information tells me that the squadron had the equipment fitted, not necessarily all the aircraft, but late 1944 and most photos I have of the squadron show H2s fitted.

To answer Q 3  H2S was secret  so was not allowed to be photographed.

If you look at most official photo's of Lancasters on the ground you might notice that they all seem to be posed the same with one of the mainwheels angled in such a way that it obscures the location of the H2S scanner dome so it could not be seen.  An indicator as to if the aircraft was fitted with H2S (I stress just an indicator!) was that the H2S cockpit display was located  just behind the captains seat, where the side clear view bulge of the canopy was located. If H2S was fitted they tended to remove the bulge  as it  could not now be used as there was no access to it due to the H2S equipment. They  replaced it with a flat perspex panel.  So no canopy bulge on the picture , probably indicated H2S was fitted.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

To answer Q 3  H2S was secret  so was not allowed to be photographed.

If you look at most official photo's of Lancasters on the ground you might notice that they all seem to be posed the same with one of the mainwheels angled in such a way that it obscures the location of the H2S scanner dome so it could not be seen.  An indicator as to if the aircraft was fitted with H2S (I stress just an indicator!) was that the H2S cockpit display was located  just behind the captains seat, where the side clear view bulge of the canopy was located. If H2S was fitted they tended to remove the bulge  as it  could not now be used as there was no access to it due to the H2S equipment. They  replaced it with a flat perspex panel.  So no canopy bulge on the picture , probably indicated H2S was fitted.

Selwyn

Thanks, Sel! "I'll take Lancaster trivia for one thousand, Alex!" (I learned something new today- much appreciated!)

Mike