Curtiss Robin record plane, scratchbuilt, 1/72nd scale

Record Fever.

The 20’s and 30’s saw one record flight after another fall more rapidly than the transit of the sun. They were a combination of show business and keen aviation skills, and helped to develop the industry as well as to create confidence among the general public towards the capabilities of the airplane. Individuals, Cities, States and Countries alike sought to gain the first page of newspapers, not to mention the industry brands that saw their products widely advertised in a way many times impossible to buy with money. So it was a win-win situation for everybody involved, pilots, sponsors, media, industry and the general public. This particular machine, thanks to in-flight refueling stayed aloft for more than seventeen days, piloted by Forrest O’Brine and Dale Jackson above the Lambert, St. Louis airfield. The machine was an out-of-the-production-line Curtiss Robin, slightly modified, equipped with the standard Curtiss Challenger six-cylinder engine, named the St. Louis Robin1. Two men manned the plane, taking four-hour turns to pilot and rest on a bunk above the fuselage super-sized auxiliary tank, refuel from the tanker and repair the engine in flight using an external rig braced around the engine. The flight was from 13 July to 30 July 1929. Quite a feat, isn’t it?

This particular plane, as said, was adapted for the record flight, so a number of little things will need your keen attention. Always, always, always, no matter how good you think the plan or kit you have is, look at photographic references and contemporary accounts of the events. You will be very surprised almost every single time discovering how far from reality representations could be.

No kit for this one, fellows (see, there are some advantages to scratchbuilding), and many an hour was spent looking for additional references, but you can start with the very good article on this plane on Skyways (Oct 2011) magazine.

Nice history, nice plane, nice colors. What else could you ask for an engaging modeling project?

The ancillary structure around the engine was for in-flight -plein air- repairs/inspection (yes, believe it or not). The opening on the back was for the in-flight refueling operation.

01.jpg

02.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

29.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

If ever one of your models needed an on-board toilet, this would be the one!😁   Not much else I can say, Moa, as I'm just about out of superlatives to describe your work; I need to get a pocket thesaurus, I guess!  I really, really, really like this one!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2018 at 3:20 AM, Artie said:

Moa, I've ran out of words with your modelling skills. Not just the amazing work you do, but the bizarre and obscure subjects you choose.

Congratulations....

I can only echo that sentiment. Your work never fails to be a treat to see.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I take it you preshaded the bottom of the wings and struts? Like we say at museums, looks to nice.

Do you mean too nice?
Pre-shading?

Pft!

Speaking of museums, a second Robin was commissioned and it's exhibited at the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.

• Haha 1

Wow, another lovely model Moa, great work. I loved the inflight refuelling video .  Can you imagine getting out in flight to carry out inspection and work on the engine in flight !!! Brave fellows.

Another fascinating model and subject and you have really done it justice.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

A wonderful model of a surprisingly little known but amazing aviation achievement.  I had to look it up.  I think it's fair to say that if today's health and safety environment had existed then it would have never taken place!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, another lovely model Moa, great work. I loved the inflight refuelling video .  Can you imagine getting out in flight to carry out inspection and work on the engine in flight !!! Brave fellows.

Another fascinating model and subject and you have really done it justice.

All the best

Chris

Inflight refueling...carrying out engine repairs outside the plane while flying...

I would have needed napies, that's for sure!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A wonderful model of a surprisingly little known but amazing aviation achievement.  I had to look it up.  I think it's fair to say that if today's health and safety environment had existed then it would have never taken place!

Thanks, and yes, regulators must cringe seen these videos!

(and insurance companies)!

5 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Wow ! Yet another masterpiece, whatever next ?

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman!

Next, applying those decals to the Dragons!

• Like 1