Beaubomber - Beaufighter Mk. 21 - 1/48

Muddyf

I have built many Beaufighter's over the years and all but one have been 1/72, and none to date have been Australian (I have a Frog Mk.21, and that's next on the pile). Ive had a bit of a soft spot for Aussie Beaufighter's and Beaufort's as my Grandmother used to work on both aircraft at Bristol, and tells a story about showing some Australians, who were visiting Filton, the work she carried out to connect control cables in the cockpit prior to them heading back to Oz to build their own (Very nice men they were too, very polite).

So, whilst i wait for someone to produce an injection moulded 1/48 Beaufort (I was hoping it would be the Airfix Telford announcement, maybe next year....), i shall crack on with a Mk.21 Beaufighter.

For this i have the Tamiya 1/48 TF.Mk.X kit and will be disposing of the torpedo and rockets in favour of wing mounted bombs.

The aircraft will be Beaufighter A8-27 DU-A 'Rockabye Baby' of 22 Squadron RAAF, based on Morotai Island in 1945. 

45087921234_7c9670350e.jpg

These are the decals i have on order.

PSL48062.jpg?t=

Additional bits and bobs will be as follows:

# Decals - Print Scale PSL48062

# Exhausts - Quickboost QB48043 (Kit supplied are too small)

# Bomb racks - Scratch built

# Open up observers hatch

# Improve observers area.

# Open up and improve wing oil coolers

# Open up cannons

# Embellish wheel wells and undercarriage

Additional embellishments or corrections will be added as i get to them or notice them in any photos.

This will be a long process, and more than likely to be interrupted by the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim. I love Bristol's (no giggling at the back!).

I will dispense with any sprue shots for the moment, I think everyone has seen them before, and mine are currently having an overnight soak.

Matt

• Like 8

Work has started on, for me, the most crucial part or the build. Removal of the observers canopy to pose open. This was achieved with no issues and with the perspex bubble cut down to size painlessly i have the beginnings of a canopy.

44008997130_6cf80c4630.jpg

Now to tidy up the area and add a little detail.

With regards to Mk.21's, were .303's fitted to the obs position of the aircraft? The copy of 'The Australian Beaufighter Mk.21 Descriptive Manual' i have shows one on a drawing of the observers position, but i have no photos that show it actually in position.

Matt

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 4

Good start getting the difficult bit done first. It's been a while since I last touched my own Beaufighter project but from what I can recall the gun mount allowed it to be stowed inside the rear fuselage when not required; will have a look for my reference collection and see what information I can find.

Only a little bit of work since the last update.

Observers hatch now complete, only requiring a sand and later embellishment (The finish looks awful thanks to the close up photo).

44947387065_77162313db.jpg

And work starting on the observers seat. Rough re-shaping to improve the look, the seat supplied with the Tamiya kit is too 'chunky' and rounded to my eye, so i thinned and straightened some edges. Now im happy with the shape, a little more sanding to get a decent finish. 

44043805010_3b7c6db995.jpg

The next area i will work upon is the seat stand. The Tamiya supplied one looks like it was copied from a cutaway drawing, but this is different to the stand installed on the Mk.21 (and Mk X's as well).

• Like 2

Not much to add with regards to an update, currently working on the observers area of the fuselage (additional fuse boxes, electrical panels, shelves and cabling) and pictures will follow when this work is completed.

Parcel arrived in the post when i got home from work containing the items i ordered:

45891510111_135e15dda0.jpg

Decals and resin hedgehog exhausts.

Matt

• Like 1

If your after an Australian made aircraft then the 303' mg's were replaced with 2 m2 light barrel .50 mgs, 2 per wing but these were remove if the rockets were fitted. If your build is of a british made aircraft then it would have had the .303 mgs but were often removed in the field

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,

Only a little work undertaken, but progress none the less!

Progress on the cockpit, pilots chair and finishing touches to go, but nearly there.

31105925747_9152904285.jpg

Works started on the engines. First the basic engine painted and given a wash to dirty it up a little.

44229053170_505052a013.jpg

Followed by work on the exhaust collector ring supports (missing from the kit) and replacement of the heating air intakes with brass tube.

31105922667_bdae001003.jpg

Once the engines are completed, i shall continue with the interior (pending further research).

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Minor update!

Due to work, Christmas and new year, my modelling time was non-existent to zero. Family days out restricted the time even more (although very enjoyable) and at the weekend, on the return trip form a National Trust property in Somerset, we passed a second hand bookshop where, with help from my 10 year old son, i unearthed this little gem which set me back the princely sum of £1!

45748572555_3c29b234d9.jpg

Despite the lack of time (and gifted additions to my stash requiring a box opening, look at the parts then will-power to prevent IMMEDIATE construction), i managed a little progress on the engines.

Engine 2 now only requires some additional work with the insertion of collector ring supports required, then they can go into the ready for final assembly pile.

45748571695_ccc63f1a43.jpg

Plan for tonight (and hopefully associated progress photos tomorrow) will be to complete the interior and button up the fuselage.

Matt

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 2

A nice project! The engines look super. I don't quite understand one thing though: didn't the back of the perspex bubble lift with the rest of the hatch? It doesn't seem to have a join. I thought I'd seen a photo of a real one opened up but I can't find it today...

Regards,

Adrian

34 minutes ago, Muddyf said:

Due to work, Christmas and new year, my modelling time was non-existent to zero. Family days out restricted the time even more (although very enjoyable) and at the weekend, on the return trip form a National Trust property in Somerset, we passed a second hand bookshop where, with help from my 10 year old son, i unearthed this little gem which set me back the princely sum of £1!

45748572555_3c29b234d9.jpg

A nice find, Matt :)

Martin

15 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

A nice project! The engines look super. I don't quite understand one thing though: didn't the back of the perspex bubble lift with the rest of the hatch? It doesn't seem to have a join. I thought I'd seen a photo of a real one opened up but I can't find it today...

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

The bubble canopy was different to the type found on the UK built TFX's etc (more angular teardrop with sliding panels to allow the gun to poke through) and, from my interpretation of the photos i have seen, was more similar to the earlier teardrop bubble, but with the end cut off to allow access for the gun (this end being discarded from the model build). I have linked a photo below showing a Mk21, with a fairly clear view of the rear canopy.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C286972

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Work has swallowed up an awful lot of my modelling time lately, so only little bits have been done, but progress has been made!

Since my last post i have:

Worked on the tail-wheel to get it looking more like the wheel fitted to the Mk21.

45991135695_d7cdaabf4a.jpg

Buttoned up the fuselage, glued the wings together, filled the additional set of slots for the two extra .303 guns removed etc.

Inserted a vertical bar into the slats on the oil cooler intakes for both wings, below is an 'after and before' shot.

45991136065_1c99a759da.jpg

Finished the undercarriage, put the basic airframe together and given a blast of Halfords primer. Then i filled any gaps etc.

46905646521_4779ce7486.jpg

Now, apart from spray cans, im new to the whole 'airbrush' shenanigans and have resolutely stuck to the good old hairy stick. For my birthday last year, my father-in-law got me the basic Humbrol airbrush starter set (the one with the can of compressed air). I had a quick play on Sunday afternoon and then subjected the Beaufighter to my unskilled wrath. I have to say, im a convert (now, where can i get a decent beginners compressor, cleaner, etc. etc.).

Next jobs:

Prep the bombs and bomb carriers

Paint the exhaust collector rings and exhausts

Apply decals, stencils etc

Apply slight weathering (probably just a wash and some exhaust streaks)

Attach wheels (then sand down and bulge wheels)

Attach bombs

Attach easily breakable bits (aerials etc)

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, as i said at the start of the project, this would be a long process. That combined with an accidental deletion of WIP photos means that this project comes to a rather abrupt end!

Well, after the initial undercoat was applied, green went on using the airbrush and i can say im very pleased with the results. Still a minor bit of work (wheel bulges) but i am calling this completed!

47334200862_97768f93ca.jpg

47334201872_fde3e4a073.jpg

47334201382_d43db03562.jpg

Now to continue the assault on the stash!

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 5