Pander Postjager 1933, modified Execufom vacuform 1//2nd scale

OK, one last try to identify the mysery logo. I received a new scan of one of two photos that show the logo., courtesy of Jun in Tokyo. I softened it to remove the dithering, and rotated it to give mostly undistorted view. I also sketched in what I think I see in the logo.

postjagercolors-25.jpg

The only other photo that shows it somewhat clear (also shown above) was also rotated and skewed to give a sort-of undistorted view.

postjagercolors-26.jpg

If anyone has any idea, I would love to hear from you!

Rob

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Hi Rob,

Looks to me like a winged globe, with Africa top right and S America bottom left?

As this doesn't really fit in with it's intended route, it could just about be interpreted as India and Central Asia/Middle East top right, Europe top left and Africa bottom left. This would give the intended route to the Dutch East Indies running top left to bottom right?

On 2/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Rob,

Looks to me like a winged globe, with Africa top right and S America bottom left?

As this doesn't really fit in with it's intended route, it could just about be interpreted as India and Central Asia/Middle East top right, Europe top left and Africa bottom left. This would give the intended route to the Dutch East Indies running top left to bottom right?

Dave, thanks for looking into my still open question! Your description sounds a lot like the picture below, a screenshot from  YouTube: 'KLM 18. London-Melbourne race' around 05:30. To my eye, the 'continents' seen in the Postjager logo photos do not really match the pattern of continents. Plus why the added wings? However, I don't have a better explanation either 🙂

Rob

postjagerlogo-24.jpg

• Like 1

I think that the Aero Shell logo would be  a good possibility,especially on record breaking runs. The logo differed over time but it was predominately yellow in colour which would appear dark on many pre-war film stock. My only reservation is that the  trailing edge of the logo wings, appears to have a convex curved line to it, not like the convex curve of some of the others, except the Curtiss logo.

John

However just having seen Dave's (Swindell) post and the new evidence, I think the winged Globe makes sense. I'm sure that I saw a model of the Panda in the Lelystad museum, when I was there on Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, Rob de Bie said:

To my eye, the 'continents' seen in the Postjager logo photos do not really match the pattern of continents. Plus why the added wings?

With the photo of the logo being such low resolution/pixelated I'd agree, I can't definitely see the continent pattern either, but it's something that might be there if the image was better. As your screenshot shows, globes with routes on were used for illustrative purposes at the time, and globes with wings were also used as logos for aviation and airmail at the time, eg US airmail stamps and Pan Am logo. I don't think it too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that a winged globe logo could be used to celebrate the aircraft's use for the new airmail route. I admit it's only a theory and I'm trying to make the image fit the theory.

Just found this envelope sent to Java postmarked 1933, also marked "Postjager" with 2 1/2 Cent stamps with a winged logo that's very similar in shape to the logo you're looking at.

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

With the photo of the logo being such low resolution/pixelated I'd agree, I can't definitely see the continent pattern either, but it's something that might be there if the image was better. As your screenshot shows, globes with routes on were used for illustrative purposes at the time, and globes with wings were also used as logos for aviation and airmail at the time, eg US airmail stamps and Pan Am logo. I don't think it too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that a winged globe logo could be used to celebrate the aircraft's use for the new airmail route. I admit it's only a theory and I'm trying to make the image fit the theory.

Just found this envelope sent to Java postmarked 1933, also marked "Postjager" with 2 1/2 Cent stamps with a winged logo that's very similar in shape to the logo you're looking at. 

Hi Dave

Similar images were posted earlier in the thread, you can see them if you go back a little.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Dave

Similar images were posted earlier in the thread, you can see them if you go back a little.

Cheers

Hi Moa, yes I'd seen them. The significance of the link was the date and reference to Postjager on the envelope ,which makes it contemporary and possibly directly linked with the aircraft -  ie it may have actually been carried in the Postjager?

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Moa, yes I'd seen them. The significance of the link was the date and reference to Postjager on the envelope ,which makes it contemporary and possibly directly linked with the aircraft -  ie it may have actually been carried in the Postjager?

Thanks for pointing it, Dave, I missed that!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Rob de Bie said:

Rob

Not about the question, but may be interesting if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/edward-walks-up-to-three-pilots-in-front-of-wing-of-plane-news-footage/516570566?adppopup=true

On 9/3/2019 at 8:03 AM, Moa said:

Many thanks, it's completely new to me!

Dave, John and Moa, thanks for all your contributions concerning the mystery logo. I lost track of this thread earlier in the year, when I had a big e-mail problem. Thanks to Moa's posting from Tuesday I'm aboard again!

Dave: I will try to draw the globe-based logo and report back here.

John: you write that the logo was "applied as a decal (as was quite usual) and it had not been sealed by varnish It would quite quickly disintegrate, which would account for it's disappearance." I was thinking it would be painted on, since printing a one-off decal would be too much work. What was the process used to create an adhesive decal in 1933, lacking the printers that we are so used to? Please note that the logo did not disappear during the flight - it held perfectly at least until arriving in Indonesia. It sometimes *appears* missing, but I blame that on the colours used, giving the same grey value as the silver dope.

For all modellers who like the lines of this aircraft: a new 1/72 resin model of the Postjager, based on a 3D CAD and 3D printed master, is expected in 2020.

Rob

• Like 3