McLaren MP4/5B (Tamiya 1:20)

wimbledon99

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one back underway again Nigel. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. It's a 'gap filler' whilst waiting for your Panzer GB to commence but I'm hoping to have it completed in time 🤞

• Like 1

That is looking really smart Nigel. It looks to be an impressive kit so far but, like you, I'm surprised by the sink marks, especially in a Tamiya kit. And it's a shame they are on the bodywork too and not somewhere out of sight. Hope you manage to get them sorted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking really smart Nigel. It looks to be an impressive kit so far but, like you, I'm surprised by the sink marks, especially in a Tamiya kit. And it's a shame they are on the bodywork too and not somewhere out of sight. Hope you manage to get them sorted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix   :smile:  To be fair, they are under the nose and on the inside of the end plates but they are still very much noticeable if not treated (I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow).

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

Looking great so far. :yes:

The driver’s harness looks very good, is it an after market item, or kit supplied? 

Thank you Bill :smile:  The belts are moulded onto the seat. I have picked them out with a brush so I'm glad you like them!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Thank you Bill :smile:  The belts are moulded onto the seat. I have picked them out with a brush so I'm glad you like them!

Wow, I would never have guessed. You’ve done them very convincingly! :yes:

• Thanks 1

Nice job Nigel.

I was a huge Schumie fan from the beginning and you've just reminded me that I did actually 're-start' making models again with the release of Tamiya's Ferrari 2000. I got it right down to the decal stage before life got in the way and the box of assemblies got put into storage, forgotten and ultimately damaged.

I've just googled the kit and was shocked to see the price of them nowadays. I suppose it's a lot to do with licencing with the FIA?

I'm not sure I'll re-visit F1 kits (It would have to be the F2000 again, and possibly Schumie's Benetton, but never say never)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your McLaren progress and get to the finished stage.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Badder. It's odd, I purchased this as I'm a big F1 fan but this build isn't doing it for me! You're correct about the price of some kits, it's mad! I am however hoping that Santa brings me the Ebbro Lotus 49 (1967) :wink:

Anyhow, here are the ejection marks I'm on about. I've highlighted with red 'dots' on the photo as I'm using white filler

46047215311_959dc12e0a_k.jpg

On 11/25/2018 at 9:56 PM, Badder said:

Nigel,

It looks to me that the vast majority of those ejection marks are on the insides and undersides of the parts, where they won't be seen, but still.....

Hi Badder, The underside of the front wing, I agree, but the the inside of the end panels will be visible  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, Badder said:

Nice job Nigel.

I was a huge Schumie fan from the beginning and you've just reminded me that I did actually 're-start' making models again with the release of Tamiya's Ferrari 2000. I got it right down to the decal stage before life got in the way and the box of assemblies got put into storage, forgotten and ultimately damaged.

I've just googled the kit and was shocked to see the price of them nowadays. I suppose it's a lot to do with licencing with the FIA?

I'm not sure I'll re-visit F1 kits (It would have to be the F2000 again, and possibly Schumie's Benetton, but never say never)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your McLaren progress and get to the finished stage.

Rearguards,

Badder

I got a score from a model show.  A vendor there had 4 kits @ $15ea.  I figured I'd get 2 of them, so while I'm standing there fiddling with them trying to figure out which 2 I wanted, he says "Tell you what, $40 and you can have all 4."  Really?!  Done!  The decals on a couple of them had gone to hell, so I'll eventually have to run down some replacements.  But no complaints.  It may help a little bit being in the US, as F1 isn't as big over here as it is in Europe...though because of that you'd think the rarity of the kits because of the lack of a following would drive the prices up.

One of these days I'll get to building them.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 12:09 AM, helios16v said:

I got a score from a model show.  A vendor there had 4 kits @ $15ea.  I figured I'd get 2 of them, so while I'm standing there fiddling with them trying to figure out which 2 I wanted, he says "Tell you what, $40 and you can have all 4."  Really?!  Done!  The decals on a couple of them had gone to hell, so I'll eventually have to run down some replacements.  But no complaints.  It may help a little bit being in the US, as F1 isn't as big over here as it is in Europe...though because of that you'd think the rarity of the kits because of the lack of a following would drive the prices up.

One of these days I'll get to building them.

Now that, Sir, is indeed a bargain!! :like:

I have decided to end the build here and call it 'In the garage' :whistle:

The consistency of the aftermarket decals isn't great so I don't want to risk a lot of work on the body only to find they split or crumble. I also don't really want to hide the 'nuts and bolts' of the car so it will sit on the shelf as is :smile:

I learned quite a bit during this build which I'll take into my Lotus 49 build later in 2019.

All the best to those completing their KUTA's

Cheers

Nigel

46179116451_8b1998dce0_k.jpg

• Like 4

Well it looks smart Nigel but it's a shame you couldn't get it across the finish line! (you see what I did there?).................................................:coat:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well it looks smart Nigel but it's a shame you couldn't get it across the finish line! (you see what I did there?).................................................:coat:

Kind regards,

Stix

Haha  - Thanks Stix!  :laugh: