AMT Piranha Spy Car

PatW

I do remember the Man from Uncle. Very cool stuff at the time.

I don't remember this car, though I knew the kit existed.

I seem to remember they used a GM styling exercise?

That could be a Corvair flat six in the back.

It's good to see such a rare thing being built.

It has a touch of the Jetsons about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It has a touch of

I don't know this car at all. UFO has a Metallic bronzey car like this based on a Ford Zephyr . It's probably what Bertone was looking at with the Citroen GS and Cit/Masser SM6 or Spen King with one of the Rover 3500 design drawings .

https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/concepts-and-prototypes-rover-sd1-concept-1/

UFO

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/12/10/a-childhood-dream-realized-as-a-tv-car-rises-again/

AMT paid for the actual Car build for exclusive rights to sell models of it . You're right about the Corvair engine and had a new build frame and not with the Ralph Nader's "unsafe at any speed" chassis though.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for your interest and info. I saw every episode of the Man from Uncle but very saw the car.

I seem to remember the car only featured in a few of the later TV episodes. I think it was first seen as Illya picked it up outside an airport. I think it was mainly conceived as a publicity vehicle (literally and metaphorically).

Well concerned about how to hold the upper and lower part of the body together without wrecking the paint is over. I tested Tamiya masking tape on some chrome painted scrap plastic and it showed no damage. There was juast a sign of a little damage but I polished it out.

photo-th.jpg 

photo-th.jpg

The next bit is to fit the glass and doors to the top! I found this on the web, so gives me an idea of how to start with this part of the build.

photo1-th.jpg

• Like 2

All done, although driver's door and engine lid don't close tight, the engine lid touching a turbo although it's touching the top of the engine! Windows/roof installation easier than expected. Door attachment different from the one above!

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

• Like 3