1/48 Tonka GR1 Kit choices

ModellerUK

It's all subjective, but In 1/72 the Revell GR1 kit still 'leads the field' and it's a GR1 out of the box- the Hasegawa one from 30 years ago is nicely tooled, and came with JP233 runway denial stores, but if I recall correctly the  Tornado nose radome is a bit stumpy.  Here's a link to a review on Modelling Madness:

Hasegawa Tornado Gr1 Review   

In 1/48 the recent-ish Revell IDS is a good place to start, but aftermarket will be required for the Skyshadow and LRMTS pod. You could certainly do with having a look at General Melchett's superb (GR1A) thread here to give you an idea:

General Melchett's GR1A Build

I've not seen the GR4 kit from Revell, but it may be a simpler task to backdate it to GR1 standard. More research required. 

The Italeri 1/48  kit is fine, was boxed as a GR1 but not as detailed as the Revell offering.

I'd forget about the Airfix and Esci kits unless you have a thing for collectables. 

After me, the deluge- of responses. 

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 2

Depends what you ant.  The ESCI 1/48 is pretty primitive, spurious main undercarriage, strange tail above the exhaust, chunky plastic, lots of filler, etc, but it’s cheap & looks like a Tonka, but that backdated Revell GR4 on here the other day was a stunner.  Plus the Revell kit gives you flaps & slats etc.

My ESCI GR1 & Revell F3 for comparison

XFjS3ie_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f