Help needed start over or fixable?

Hi guys I've been painting a 1:72 spitfire but the paint it very rough possible had the airbrush too far away I was trying to do dust coats but the paint is rough. 

I thought gloss coat might help smooth it out but it hasn't. Or maybe I've not put enough gloss on? Is there any way to fix this? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29495489@N02/45810138971/in/dateposted/

Otherwise I'm going to strip the model using dettol and start from scratch. Any ideas cheers 

Edited by Onezonedrone
Forgot link

If you choose to strip the paint I have had great success completely stripping four 1:48 fighters using nail polish remover. I uses folded sheets of paper towel, perhaps 1" square, add a bit of remover and start scrubbing. It takes a while and as long as you don't flood on the remover, it won't harm the plastic

• Like 1

Hello,

Have a go on a good strip tease :rofl2:

I use the foam intended for oven cleaning, Called here on the continent as Jex Four, maybe jex oven in U.K ??

I sprayed the stuff and let it for an hour or two, generally, you've got most of the paint out.

But sometimes, the putty get out too, but it's fast, you rinse with a bit of water and clean it with a toothbrush.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks guys thinks I'll strip it and start again. What causes this rough effect? Holding brush too far away? Paint too thick? 

I don't mind starting again as this is my first model kit so I'm trying to learn. 

Edited by Onezonedrone
Ï
  • Like 1

Oh. If you're planning on stripping the whole thing, take care not to use anything that will fog the clear parts if it seeps under the edges of your masking.

And try it on a small area first (or something leftover on the sprue) to ensure it doesn't craze the plastic.

What paint are you using?

Hello Onezone-

If you used acrylic paint, ammonia-based cleaners will work very well and have zero effect on the plastic.  Oven cleaners will also work but are much stronger and might fog clear parts (also, please wear disposable gloves if you go that route).  Enamel paint is a bit more problematic,, but IIRC oven cleaner works.  I would be wary of nail polish remover as there are various formulations, some of which will instantly attack styrene.  When in doubt, test any product on your sprue trees first.

David

1 hour ago, Onezonedrone said:

Thanks guys thinks I'll strip it and start again. What causes this rough effect? Holding brush too far away? Paint too thick? 

Your air pressure could be too high as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions I've stripped it using Mr hobby paint thinner. I'm using Mr hobby paint so it came off well without harming the plastic. Bit of a waste but at least now I can start fresh. 

I'm going to prime it and spray with around 15-20 psi and hold the brush much closer this time.

With lower pressure does it allow you to build the coat up slowly? Last time I did preshading but it wasn't visible through the paint. Possibly build up a thick layer to quickly. I used 35psi first time.

I'm hoping to have more control this time and build the paint up slowly

• Like 1

You might need some kind of medium if you're thinning the paint massively otherwise the pigment can separate and become uneven. However you don't really need to thin paint that much for this kind of pre-shading to show.

I would suggest you just grab some plastic and have a couple of practice attempts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello,

Agreed a 100% with Matt

Because, if you spray too close of the kit, you will have some spider web on your kit.

Take some unused parts as a "test pig" 

I'm far from being an expert with my old airbrush, so keep the faith and try ad try again !

Even with a load of kits under my belt, sometime :poo:...

Sincerely.

CC

Again, be carefull if you sprayed in a cold room, like garage or a thing like that, the temperature can also play some disturbances...

CC

Managed to strip it all off prime it and respray. This time I used a lower pressure and got in much closer. The finish is smooth and even this time. What you guys think?

this time I thinned the paint a biy more you cant tell on the photo but the preshading is much mkre visable.Can't wait to do some oil wethering 

20181112_192724

20181112_192532

• Like 2