Airfix 1/24 Hellcat F6F-5

thepureness

When it comes to aircraft I build almost exclusively in 1/72 with one exception: new tool 1/24 kits. So YES I'll be getting an Airfix Hellcat to sit front & centre with my bubble top Typhoon! 😃😓

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I see Airfix have released indicative colour schemes for the Hellcat....

46672315271_89747a1dc6_b.jpg

Nothing overly adventurous but you get a FAA scheme.

I quite like the USS Randolph scheme myself...

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope they have FAA bits in the box.  I think the instrument panel was slightly different and it had a RN radio fit.  

I guess I had better get on with the 1/24 Typhoon soon so as to make space in the stash cupboard for this one...

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I hope they have FAA bits in the box.  I think the instrument panel was slightly different and it had a RN radio fit.  

I guess I had better get on with the 1/24 Typhoon soon so as to make space in the stash cupboard for this one...

And a British oxygen system too like the Corsair I believe.

Yep my 2019 modelling is going to be taken up with that beast!

I want to do JW779/W1xx 1844 NAS HMS Indomitable, which was flown by Lt WHI Atkinson RCN when he destroyed an A6M Zero and possibly a Ki61 Tony on 12.04.45 during Operation Iceberg I.  I would be pretty sure it was painted TSS and carried full BPF roundels and W on the tail but I'm not sure of the side number of the aircraft. 

If anyone can provide the side number or a dated colour photo of the left and right sides (tongue in cheek), I would be delighted to see it...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As beautiful as the Airscale set appears to be, based on photos posted so far it is a -3 instrument panel, not a -5.  It is missing the reflector panel that was added to the -5 to improve things for night flying, as well as the rocket selector switch and wing bomb rack manual release.

This is a -5 panel, from the manual:

f6f_02.jpg

And this is a -3 panel, again from the manual:

f6f_01.jpg

The side consoles also appear to be -3 standard, not -5 (missing the IFF destruct switch, generator warning light and a couple of other niggles).

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f6f/f6f_pit.shtml

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised so far that there aren’t more aftermarket accessories available yet of a FAA nature with this release due shortly. Eduard appear to be doing just US seatbelts so far and I haven't seen any FAA decals/ paint masks other than that with the box.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Hellcats, and I'm aware of some of the proper Royal Navy schemes, but I don't know a great deal about them.

Is Hellcat KE209 in the Fleet Air Arm Museum in a completely spurious scheme, and were any RN Hellcats finished in that scheme?

Edited by 71chally

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I like Hellcats, and I'm aware of some of the proper Royal Navy schemes, but I don't know a great deal about them.

Is Hellcat KE209 in the Fleet Air Arm Museum in a completely spurious scheme, and were any RN Hellcats finished in that scheme?

From a certain point in production of the F6F-5, all aircraft leaving the Grumman factory were finished in Gloss Sea Blue regardless of who they were going to. The EDSG/SG/Sky scheme provided in the new Airfix kit is therefore a bit of an anomaly for a -5.

• Thanks 1

Since I build a lot of trucks, this would make a nice load on a flatbed trailer as a freshly restored plane or one just dragged out of the water or something like that.

• Like 3

Looks awesome in the box

But I did have a concern with someone building the kit on a Facebook group which showed a warped fuselage, which for the price we wouldn't expect

I've been reviewing the instructions carefully, in particular trying to work out if by not sticking parts N30 and N34, the hinges for the wings down or N39 and N40 into the wings it it would be possible to build so it could be shown wings up, or down. 

Or would the upper wing gap just look wrong with wings down? 

It would mean flaps up, but that isn't a problem. 

Has anyone else had this thought?

Some dry runs are called for... ideally some additional bits to play with, but that isn't going to happen....

Newby here Name of LOCUST

Hope to have fun building the Airfix Hellcat, and talking to you experts about the build.

My first is to 224 Peter, I am also looking at the folding wings.

Do you think if parts N30 and N34 were a proper hinge would the wings be able to fold, and drop down for flight.

If you look at a real wing fold there is another flap that drops down Part no N20/36 and N19/35, this is an easy fix.

I realise the flaps would have to be in for this to work.

Your thoughts please.

Locust

On 6/30/2019 at 12:16 AM, NAVY870 said:

That's my pocket money gone.

I was just imagining your bank manager weeping if Airfix release a 1/24 Sea Venom!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I was just imagining your bank manager weeping if Airfix release a 1/24 Sea Venom!

Steve

Nah

Just flog of a few excess kits from the stash and a kid or two.

40 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Nah

Just flog of a few excess kits from the stash and a kid or two.

Keep the stash.....just sell a few kids 🤣