Airfix 1/24 Hellcat F6F-5

thepureness

Don't think anyone prior to Telford foresaw the release of a 24th scale Hellcat. Beginning to wonder if Airfix are seeing the potential of tempting the American market with more American subjects now. For example in the last few years across different scales we have had a B-17 Flying Fortress, a B-25 Mitchell, a P-51D Mustang, a Curtiss Tomahawk and now the F6 Hellcat...whatever can we expect to see next?

A B-50 (or an RAF Washington)?

Concerning the Hellcat I think it is an fantastic kit of an impressive naval aircraft. But I can't say that I would get it. If it was an 1/72 kit I for sure would get it...

/André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

A quick peek on Hyperscale, which has a considerable ex-colonial presence, should give you a rough idea of how they're reacting the other side of the pond. I suspect this is the market that Airfix was largely thinking of. It's certainly a lot bigger than our domestic market.

Although it's not my scale and not one of my favourite subjects, I think it looks like an incredible kit. Sadly, budget and space dictate that it's highly unlikely I'll have the chance to have a crack at it. Still, if it brings in some cash for Hornby, maybe we'll all have a better chance of having our favourite aeroplanes kitted in the near future.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Well, I'm buying it. So I must be about the only UK based modeller that is at the moment. If I'm remembering correctly, the only other US subjects in 1/24 are P-51s and P-47s, so a Hellcat is certainly different and very unexpected...but welcome with me. And of course, we used them too. Matters not though. Mine's going to be Aeronavale. 

Edit: I forgot the Vintage Fighters Series P-40. 

Edited by fightersweep

14 minutes ago, Plasto said:

What it might have been is moot tbh.

True. Plus also not why this thread is here. Pls keep to the topic in hand. We don't want wish lists or laments.

julien

• Like 3

I'm happy with it & I'll have one. Going off the comments in this thread so far a fairly high %age of posters would still be whingeing even if it was a Spitfire, wrong mark, wrong scale, wrong markings etc. etc. & that's before all the "unbuildable" burble is taken into account. I saw it on the Saturday & it looks really good, one of those models that you feel you have to buy just because it looks so good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

I saw it on the Saturday & it looks really good, one of those models that you feel you have to buy just because it looks so good.

As I was watching the design and development video I found myself wanting one, and I have no interest in the Hellcat: I just want to experience the kit and engineering.

• Like 4

I missed the bit about the sound unit. A bit gimmicky for me, but I might consider the motor. I presume these will be the same units that were available a few years back. Hope so, as I still have a few in the stash.

5 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

As I was watching the design and development video I found myself wanting one, and I have no interest in the Hellcat: I just want to experience the kit and engineering.

This is exactly how I fell for the big Typhoon kit. I had no intentions of getting one when it was all unveiled, however when it 'hit the streets' and I started seeing everyones rave comments and sprue shots I just had to have it. Now I'll admit its still sitting unbuilt in the stash but all this recent talk of 1/24th scale has got me thinking that perhaps it might be time to put aside some group builds and tackle this big monster. I've got a feeling this Hellcat kit may lead me astray just like the Tiffy did. I can't wait to see the decal options, especially the FAA and Aeronavale options.  

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Strange thing is, I've yet to come across anybody who is excited by this, and I don't know of anyone who is even thinking of buying one.

Well I'm excited, and will get at least one to do as an FAA machine.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is exactly how I fell for the big Typhoon kit. I had no intentions of getting one when it was all unveiled, however when it 'hit the streets' and I started seeing everyones rave comments and sprue shots I just had to have it. Now I'll admit its still sitting unbuilt in the stash but all this recent talk of 1/24th scale has got me thinking that perhaps it might be time to put aside some group builds and tackle this big monster. I've got a feeling this Hellcat kit may lead me astray just like the Tiffy did. I can't wait to see the decal options, especially the FAA and Aeronavale options.  

Cheers.. Dave  

Ditto for myself. I’ll get one and while my shelves mainly hold 1/72 I have decided I must put an Airfix 1/24 at the center with all the details and the variants in 1/72 around it. 

• Like 3

I'm certainly planning to get one as well if they do a Fleet Air Arm option on the decal sheet and if there's an Aeronavale decal option there's a distinct chance I'll get a second one. If they do Caspar John's FR.II as the FAA option I'll be beside myself with delight!

Initially I wasn’t convinced when I heard the announcement, but having seen it in the flesh on the Sunday it has grown on me and I will be looking to get one. I like modelling aircraft with wing folds.

Speaking to the Airfix guys, I ask about decal options, the answer that I was given was that the kit would have 4 options, 2 US Navy, 1 French (in overall blue) and a camouflaged FAA option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Grey Beema said:

I was reading on another site something about a sound unit also being made available, not only can you swing the prop but you can hear the sound of the P&W.  Has anyone heard anything about the sound unit?

As for PTO only, for sure the Hellcat MK I was used in the European theatre (North Atlantic, Western Approaches and Mediterranean), I am pretty sure it would not be a massive step to convert the Mk II back to an MkI.  In fact @Troy Smith posted a diagram of the differences.  Just try to get a photo of your particular aircraft because there were variances on the cowl flaps even in the MkI (the FAA wired some shut)..

There was a stall at Telford that had a motor and sound unit connected to a o47 but I can’t remember who it was 

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

one of those models that you feel you have to buy just because it looks so good.

Hit the nail on the head there, everyone is reading too much into it, a good box top and the sheer size of it will definitely attract the casual buyer and at the end of the game is this not Airfix's biggest audience?

I've just remembered. I did a bit of hangar time in the cockpit of Doug Arnold's Hellcat, which I've just remembered was a -5. I could do that one. Even more reason to buy the kit. Got a photo somewhere. I didn't realise until checking the interwebby thing that his Hellcat ended up with the Flying Heritage Collection. 

Tell you one thing. Sitting up there in that rather high and spacious office made one realise just how big a fighter it is, and just how small the carrier must have looked on approach. My hat is firmly off to all carrier based jocks anywhere.

Edited by fightersweep