This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
GordonD

A Street Near You

This will send a shiver down your spine. It's an interactive map that lets you zoom right down to street level and will show you the names of First World War casualties who might have lived next door to you.

https://astreetnearyou.org/?fbclid=IwAR0H69f9k35SyiJtaSBEUUQFfWui7M2nK2Oz_tATuLGnn0TT-3PJBRWHmZ4#=undefined&lat=10&lon=0&zoom=2

Thanks Gordon,

Where I live was all built up after the First World War but I was able to look up my great grandfather who died during WW! from wounds sustained at Gallipoli.

I always thought he was I Private but following the links it turns out he'd been promoted to Lance Jack (Corporal), before he died.

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Gordon,

Where I live was all built up after the First World War but I was able to look up my great grandfather who died during WW! from wounds sustained at Gallipoli.

I always thought he was I Private but following the links it turns out he'd been promoted to Lance Jack (Corporal), before he died.

It puts human faces on a few of the vast number of casualties. I had two great-uncles, both of whom came home, but a more distant relative from Canada died in France. His record isn't listed so obviously there are gaps but hopefully most if not all of the UK people are included.

:poppy:

If you're having a problem accessing the site, have patience: it's experiencing some phenomenal traffic and the owner is arranging to have it transferred to a new server which will hopefully ease the congestion.

Not a family member as such, but my grandfather's step-brother, Corporal Lawrence Thomas.  They joined the army together in January 1915 and served in the same battalion, 14th York and Lancaster Regiment, 2nd Barnsley Pals.  Grandad survived the war, but Lawrence was killed in 1st July, 1916.