Blast from the Past - Desert Typhoon in 1/48

All this buzz nowadays with magnificent Tempests, amazing Tiffys in the small scale and general Hawker appreciation I felt that I needed to join the fray.

I got one of these way back when.
43990188160_fbbe4a3617_o.jpg
It was started at least 4 years ago with what at the time was my first resin cockpit, but has laid dormant for at least 3 years.

The last outing was this family shoot with it's Airfix brothers
43990188220_4b65ea86cf_o.jpg
I was staring at my second Airfix 1/72 Tiffy with the plan to do a RCAF Bomb-phoon as a quickish build when I heard whispers from another box in the stash.

"what about me? I'm I not good enough anymore?"
That Siren call was too hard to pass up on, so there was only one thing that I could do (was ding-a-ding-ding my dang-a-long ling-long as Ministry tells you to)

Right.

I'm planning to do one of the three desert test machines that Churchill himself ordered to be sent down to Egypt for trails. The Tiffys were of the early Car-door type, adorned with the glorious desert paint scheme that looks so good, tropical air intake and uncovered guns. The last thing is a wee bit like Magnum P.I I reckon, or what to do say @Procopius
tv-magnum_pi-1980_1988-magnum-tom_sellec
A suitable set of decals have been procured which also includes a tropical air filter.
44893955585_c254e5a887_o.jpg
During the years I've had the good idea to add more stuff to a stalled build in order to get in done. I'm sure it's a terrific idea
43990188090_cfc362865a_o.jpg

What's actually been done so far?
44893955435_6787d942c7_o.jpg
Ah yes, Aires gun bays. I've added a gun heating pipe, and painted it brown according to what I knew at that time, but nowadays I think it should be aluminium through and through.

I also need to add a few shims to the side, and prepare for the installation of Masters excellent turned Hispanos.
43990187920_5b0e61afb4_o.jpg
Inserts for the car-door version was a bit of a pig, so here I need to make a few new panel lines :shudder:
44893955205_f1fcc02c09_o.jpg

The Aires Cockpit seems to be almost finished, except for a trim wheel that is MIA.

I should still have the Hasegawa plastic somewhere, so that will be used instead.

Here's hoping that the Cockpit was painted interior green and black, and not aluminium and black...

On with the show!

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 15

Hello Christer !

Thanks a thousand times, I'm not alone in the multiple build...:whistle:

Great idea !! I would do one too, just be carefull about the spinner, it's not black at all.

The allied aircraft have a red spinner on MTO...

But on the B/W pics of the time, red look like black.

And lots of decals did'nt depict it.

Good idea ! Come on, I'll follow if you don't mind ?

And great adds too ! you'll do a gem of a kit !

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks since the last update and nothing to show?

Tsssk, we can't have that now, can we?

This has stalled twice already, I don't see a need for a third....

Well, I plucked up some courage and glued the fuselage together, making sure that I painted all parts of the interior radiator opening Mid Stone.

32176541548_2c415a2061_o.jpg.

The cockpit isn't in yet, but that can be inserted from below, so no problems there I wager.

I haven't finished building the instrument panel (more about that some other time) yet, but that is surely a fine piece of resin/etch&film!

I had the rather daft idea to add an Aires wheel bay, so it was time do see how I could get that in.

45135665485_d5250e7604_o.jpg

With a new cutting disc on my dremel, it was a quick job to remove the plastic wheel bays.

A quick check to see if there are any fit issues:

32176541828_969b74c290_o.jpg

Well, there's a big gap towards the fuselage that coud prove interesting. Am I holding it in the wrong place, or has Aires done something peculiar?

45135665225_800b7fa57d_o.jpg

Well, it seems that Aires aren't thinking squares, or perpendicular to wing spar etc.

I had to look up my old 1/24 Tiffy build:

35050235994_75c8ba1468_o.jpg

35720461242_00c6e8e048_o.jpg

Main wing spar is perpendicular to the fuselage side, and the inner wall is parallel to the fuselage.

Aires has a definite angle here...

Oh well, the details are much better than Hasegawa at least!

I wonder how hard it will be to get into the wing?

It turned out, that Aires is going straight to scale depth, disregarding any sort of plastic thickness and the like.

The trusty Dremel did fairly quick work of the molding plug on the topside of the bay, but that was still not enough. I see that the nice experience I had with Aires Wheel wells on my Sea Vixen and Phantom was not going to repeat it self.

Time to scrape some plastic!

32176541998_d6ff89b054_o.jpg

This stuff gets EVERYWHERE!

But it was not enough anyway, so I had to sand even more on the resin bits and scrape the top wing as well!

Now it appears that I can close the left wing , so It's time to focus on the right one on my next modelling session.

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 5

Holy buckets, this is an impressive build - well all of them are. Love what you're doing with your 1/48 there, very nice indeed.

Not sure about that gap with your new wheel well. Are aries expecting that gap to be filled by a piece of undercarriage door or something?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what Aires intends here. They do provide a new set of doors too, but those are probably a little thinner than the plastic ones.

Also, they're fully riveted, something that is mostly missing from Hasegawas parts.

I'll blank it off with a piece of plastic. With enough weathering, it'll hopefully blend in nicely.

• 1 month later...

Oops, it was November last time I did an update here.

Where does the time fly to?

I wasn't really doing much modelling in all of December, but now the darkest days are behind us and it's time go back to the mancave again.

Aires wheelbays....why do I persist with them?

After thinning the wings to almost a translucent thickness I shot some Vallejo Aluminium on both the bays and wings, maybe that'll help with the mood?
45812178345_7e3861613f_o.jpg
46674979462_c5c223179e_o.jpg
Right, there we have the reason for Aires wheel bays!

Ok, with the spirits suitable lifted I decided to put off detailing the bays for now. I do not think they'll survive the masking that'll be needed later, and it's almost possible to do it later, so why not give that a spin?

With the wings sanded thin, there's nothing to secure the bays in the proper location. I decided to have go with some pieces of sprue instead and cut off some bits, and tacked them in place with TETC while I adjusted the bays to their proper place.

Once that was done, I ran some CA-glue around the resin in order to secure it properly and with a good amount of clamping force I got it done.
45812178705_edaeaa0ac1_o.jpg
I was left with a gap towards the fuselage but filled that with some plastic card. Even the resin inner wheel bay covers are thick, so I'm counting on that it will not be seen afterwards...
46674979112_5273a0ed42_o.jpg
Some detail painting was also done in the bays. It helps a lot to have a finished 1/24 Tiffy to look at!

That's it for the wheel bays for now. Let's focus on getting the cockpit in
The instrument panel and the side parts were installed from the underside
46674979112_5273a0ed42_o.jpg
Aires resin compass is mean little thing to install. This will do for now. Sadly, the two layer instrument panel is all but invisible in this scale 😒
46674978782_f09704b867_o.jpg

In all these wrestling matches I discovered that the radiator upper lip had come loose.
45812178015_cb7c6a8dee_o.jpg
I need to fix that somehow. I wonder if I have a good L-shape somewhere, because it would be great to press it in place from the inside.

• Like 5

Thanks KM!

There has finally been some progress here:
33416145988_108f6efef3_o.jpg
Wht has happened then?

Well, I plucked up some mojo to finish of the cockpit and forced it into place. Some force and swift sanding action was required but YOLO and all that and in the end it got in.
When I started this model, this was my first proper resin cockpit and I won't redo it now, and my skills haven't improved to the point that the effort is worth it even...
32349986827_32c8e56fa9_o.jpg
Let's hope that the back/neck armor and seat covers most of the ugly gaps rearward.
46568568314_a91b59d551_o.jpg
The throttle handle had disappeared to the mists of time, but I made a new one from some evegreen plastic. The throttle should also have some extra levers and so on, but since nothing looked like the Aitfix 1/24 throttle I didn't bother in the end. No one will even see them...

Leaving the cockpit for a while and focusing on the wings instead. Hasegawa would like you to mate the top wings to the bottom one and then fit the fuselage. I do not really agree with this!

I started with the bottom wing instead, and pushed that in place. Some sanding between resin wheel bays and resin cockpit was required but in the end it got to the proper position, without and ugly gap or step to the rear fuselage. 

After that, I took the left top wing, and glued that to the fuselage
46568568444_f4a50490fa_o.jpg
Tadaaa! A gap gree joint!
The price I have to pay for this is that the wing itself is quite misaligned, for instance the cannons are sanding filler monster waiting to strike. Fortunately, the turned Master brass barrels will sort that out.
33416145818_79756f9e11_o.jpg
Looking at the right wing, there is a bit work to do.
32349986867_1e82a54b2c_o.jpg
Gun bay has been fixed in place with a little help from at shim, but then I saw that the entry step is shown in closed position I decided that there was a bit more to do.

Looking back at my 1/24 Tiffy (again) the step is opened, and so are two more hand helds on the fuselage:
35501875230_78abf9043e_o.jpg
Time to throw caution to the wing and open open these as well.

Something that probably was better to do before closing the fuselage...
:oops:

• Like 8

Hello Christer !

A restart of the Typhoon !! Great idea !

Now I'm looking for another car door...

Great job my friend !

Resin parts are sometimes a bit tricky.... Guess how I know it ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see this coming along again. I'm currently doing the same plane. Painted the middle stone over a week ago. It went so badly I put it aside for awhile. Not sure what went wrong, whether it was me or the airbrush. At first the paint went on really thick which was the last thing I wanted as I had pre-shaded it. Still I will be back at it in a day or two. Having your build here helps. Mine won't be anywhere near your standard, just a basic build with my usual open canopy.

Thanks to your build thread I have just ordered the uncovered guns, exhausts and the wheels. I put them on fast track delivery. This should help. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

Seems to me you’re beating this Tiffy into submission! I always appreciated the look of this plane, the radiator is so unique compared to every other WWII crate. Doesn’t hurt that these planes could haul.

I’ve got a car door and a bubble top in the stash, good to see someone build it with some AM, and all the trials and tribulations associated with that!

• Like 1

Nice work on the wings - I think you made the right call the way you attached them - fixing the wing / fuselage join is way harder than sorting out the misaligned wings half's. The lesser of 2 evils. Great to see you back onto this beast! 

Please repeat after me: I will finish the tiffy. I will finish the tiffy. :)

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Christer !

A restart of the Typhoon !! Great idea !

Now I'm looking for another car door...

Great job my friend !

Resin parts are sometimes a bit tricky.... Guess how I know it ??

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC!

Off course you need a Car-Door or two! I still got two in my stash...

So far I can say that Resin can be a bit of hit and miss, but most of the time I've been able to get it to work, the worst offender so far was the Aires resin cockpit for the Academy F-4. That one is a waste of money and time. Too bad that Eduard never did an F-4C Brassin cockpit...

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

Your work looks brilliant as always! Interested to see how this progresses 😃

Rob

Thanks Rob! I wouldn't call it brilliant though 

16 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good to see this coming along again. I'm currently doing the same plane. Painted the middle stone over a week ago. It went so badly I put it aside for awhile. Not sure what went wrong, whether it was me or the airbrush. At first the paint went on really thick which was the last thing I wanted as I had pre-shaded it. Still I will be back at it in a day or two. Having your build here helps. Mine won't be anywhere near your standard, just a basic build with my usual open canopy.

Thanks to your build thread I have just ordered the uncovered guns, exhausts and the wheels. I put them on fast track delivery. This should help. 

Thanks for the kind word Greg!

With guns, exhausts and wheels you get a lot better end result for a minimum of effort. Is there a build thread somewhere?

13 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Seems to me you’re beating this Tiffy into submission! I always appreciated the look of this plane, the radiator is so unique compared to every other WWII crate. Doesn’t hurt that these planes could haul.

I’ve got a car door and a bubble top in the stash, good to see someone build it with some AM, and all the trials and tribulations associated with that!

Thanks! I agree, the Tiffy is a brute in all aspects!

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Wow! Impressive work!

Thanks a lot Phil!

12 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Nice work on the wings - I think you made the right call the way you attached them - fixing the wing / fuselage join is way harder than sorting out the misaligned wings half's. The lesser of 2 evils. Great to see you back onto this beast! 

Please repeat after me: I will finish the tiffy. I will finish the tiffy. :)

I WILL finish the Tiffy

I WILL finish the Tiffy

I WILL finish the Tiffy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello Christer,

Agreed a 100% the Aires cockpit for the Academy F-4 is a pig...

And a vicious one... But I tamed it with great difficulties...

I will act differently for the next one...

But before... I must finish my F-4B, I must finish my F-4B....:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks for the kind word Greg!

With guns, exhausts and wheels you get a lot better end result for a minimum of effort. Is there a build thread somewhere?

Yes there is. I posted on it a week or two ago. I will put up a picture of the terrible middle stone paint job. I will most likely do some work on it today.

• Like 1

Well, you might both finish your 'Tooms before I finish my F-4C...

Anyway, here is a tiny update just to keep it rolling!

The small enstry step on the right wing was cut out and positioned.
47321349441_0e388b2566_o.jpg
After this, it felt natural to start fixing the wings, and prmarily the cannons! What's better than some turned brass barrels on a friday night?

I started with carefully measure how far the plastic pieces protrudes, using a pencil and tracing the outline on a paper. Yep, I can feel my Bachelor of Science degree getting some work done!

The instructions that Master provides claims that the outer one protrudes 10,7mm and both barrels are in line with each other. Well, I don't have a measuring rig do double check that, so I'll play it by ear instead. What could possibly go wrong?

Out with the trust razor-saw and start to cut things!
32379492987_b46b3ffb3f_o.jpg

Master also claims that I need to make a Ø3,7mm hole to insert the brass barrels, but no such drill exists in my collection. I do have Dremel and some  grinding bits though...

Lets go!
47321349271_dea0d32079_o.jpg

Whew!

That's seems to have worked just fine, and a dryfit shows no gaps or other major blemishes.

Did I get lucky?

• Like 3