Airfix Old 1/72 Phantom Manual

Doom3r

Hi guys,

I've been recently building academy 1/72 F-4J and used a decals from old Airfix Smithsonian Phantom. The manual gives instructions for 2 Phantoms (B & J), however according to scalemates it looks like it has decals and parts to build into C & E. I looked over the web but found something in really bad quality over the tapatalk where I cannot clearly see painting instructions. I wonder if anyone can share instructions E and C models so I can have a small exercise in the rescribing panel lines and get something accurate enough for my desk at work :) 

Thanks!

• Like 1

First thought is that if you want an accurate Phantom don't look at the old Airfix one.

It's a long time since I built one (being an Esci fan) but I seem to remember the following:

The first moulding - which must be 50 years ago - had parts and markings for a USN Phantom - I think VF-74 and possibly was intended to just be a B. A few years later it was re-released in the UK (USA may be different) with parts and decals which meant you were able to do 5 variants - all hard wing. I remember 2 USAF variants - C/D, a USN variant of VF-74 (J?) and an Israeli E.

It is a very basic kit by todays standards - no small windows between the cockpits, very basic cockpit, totally inaccurate wheel well detail, no slats on the tailplanes, the hull area between the jep pipes is very angular.

That said , for a while it was the only game in town, my dad and I discovered microscale decals and was buying them by the boxful (24 in a box). Do it up as a glossy desktop display model with black painted canopies it could stil look good - but you won't win any competitions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

It's not the best F-4 and is short on detail but it does tidy up well! 

21055444959_1a03889f16_b.jpg86_Airfix_F-4B_Phantom_04013_Left_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

(Sorry for the thread creep)

Dermot

A modeller after my own heart - if it looks right and I have enjoyed making it, I'm happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iainpeden said:

First thought is that if you want an accurate Phantom don't look at the old Airfix one.

I know it is not accurate: I am wrapping up the Academy F-4J and stole the Tomcatters decals from it. The phrase "accurate enough for my desk at work" means "a bit better than a die-cast" (especially right next to the Harrier eggplane). Also would like to sharpen up my rescribing techniques b/c for few years I had in my stash a Airfix Vulcan which I am still bit of afraid to rescribe.

6 hours ago, David Womby said:

Here is a link to the instructions for the kit that can be built as a B, C, E or J.  Do they help?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-1-72-mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-04013-t28846.html?amp=1

David

Thanks, it helps to see the parts branching

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Hope these are helpful:

phantom02

phantom01

And this is what I need for painting instructions. Thanks everyone who chimed in!

• Like 2