Caproni Stipa, scratchbuilt 1/72nd

My first scratchbuilding projects, from 12 years ago.

We could say that the Caproni Stipa was a gigantic flying Venturi tube. Or a flying hollowed barrel. Or a plane built around emptiness. Whatever way you may like to conceptualize it, you must admit that is a very beautiful thing, if you are so inclined.

In a sudden epiphany I realized that was very unlikely that any manufacturer, no matter how mad or desperate, would ever tackle this plane.
So I decided to go for my first scratch project ever, knowing that once I had my model finished, then perhaps some manufacturer will surely produce a kit of the thing, as Mr. Murphy well knows.
There were apparently two configurations of the same plane, differing in the tail surfaces for what I can tell. The first one had the smaller tail and was probably finished -at least in the photo I found- in an overall metal hue, with some small patches here and there. Now this was tempting, since the decoration on the other version is really complicated, although attractive.

02.jpg

01.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

• Like 31

7 minutes ago, TheLurker said:

I can't see any manufacturer anywhere making a kit for that one.

Did it ever fly?

Do a Google and there are a couple of YouTube videos showing it taking off so I guess the answer is yes.

Cracking build of such an unusual machine.

• Like 1

Another funny flying machine. Where do you find all these oddities, Moa?

Btw, when you drill the rigging holes at the anticipated angle the wires will not 'curve' around the aparture 😀

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

Another funny flying machine. Where do you find all these oddities, Moa?

Btw, when you drill the rigging holes at the anticipated angle the wires will not 'curve' around the aparture 😀

Hi Toryu

I am surprised that fellow modelers and enthusiasts are surprised, machines like this are all over the place, not in inaccessible crags of the Net!

As I always say: look behind the row of military machines, there is much more to aviation 😉

Regarding the rigging, yes, old model, but it is monofilament, not wire (I use mainly wire now). If you angle the holes you can't thread the filament through.

But well observed.

8 hours ago, Knikki said:

Do a Google and there are a couple of YouTube videos showing it taking off so I guess the answer is yes.

Thanks Knikki