Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1/72

Hi all - A very popular kit round these parts, here is my Airfix Hawker Typhoon in 1/72. I found the kit to be pretty good but not without problems - most of which were of my own making I'm sure. I did a few firsts on this build such as riveting, painted invasion stripes and doing a RAF camo scheme with an airbrush, most of which came out pretty well. I added an Eduard PE cockpit but aside from this, everything was out of the box. Painted using Tamiya Acrylics with a some Vallejo model air. Weathering using oils and pigments.

WIP is here:

RfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfi

Feedback and comments are welcome - thanks for looking! 

• Like 46

Great work, the paint work is first rate, I noticed the wingtip lights haven't been painted though, would be a shame to not finish them off on such a lovely looking Tiffy.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Very pleasing to the eye...   That really is spot on..   I must do that kit, I doubt though it'll turn out as good as yours.  Ahh memories first kit, I ever had any dealings with, I was about six called in from playing outside and dad had just started it...  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great result on this good-looking brute!

Thanks for that Alpha!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful Tiffy and an enjoyable Wip :thumbsup:

Thanks Corsair - as always, you're too kind:) 

36 minutes ago, Rich G said:

Great work, the paint work is first rate, I noticed the wingtip lights haven't been painted though, would be a shame to not finish them off on such a lovely looking Tiffy.

Rich

Thanks Rich - Re. the wing tip lights - I was considering doing this, (and even went out and bought some clear red and green for the job) but then read that on the rocket equipped versions, the lights would to get damaged so the ground crew covered them up with metal plating - I'm not sure how accurate this is - and my model is far from an accurate reproduction so I might just add them anyway. If anyone has a definitive answer on this, I love to hear. 

14 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Very pleasing to the eye...   That really is spot on..   I must do that kit, I doubt though it'll turn out as good as yours.  Ahh memories first kit, I ever had any dealings with, I was about six called in from playing outside and dad had just started it...  

Thank you Hairtrigger - I would highly recommend this kit if you're considering it - it's pretty good value for what you get - but I think I just like airfix kits, even when they're not so good...:) The panel lines and detail is great though you will need some filler and sanding paper handy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looks even better with brighter photos!

Re. the lights, my understanding is it was the landing lights which were plated over. These aren't included in the Airfix kit anyway, they've kindly plated over them for you. 😆

However, they are included in the Academy kit.

So it will be fine to break out the red and green for the nav lights. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

It looks even better with brighter photos!

Re. the lights, my understanding is it was the landing lights which were plated over. These aren't included in the Airfix kit anyway, they've kindly plated over them for you. 😆

So it will be fine to break out the red and green for the nav lights. Hope that helps. 

What Roger said!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments!!!

13 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks for this Roger - that's good enough for me - wings tips will get some landing lights!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Now what's next?

Thanks Bugle - I'm actually going to do a car next - I'm not a car guy and this will be my first one - it will be a christmas present for my petrol head brother in law. I'm hoping it will be a fairly quick project so I can get back to my airplanes shortly after that. Though not sure which will be next - possibly the Eduard FW 190 as I have all the bits to start that... I also have a P-47 Razorback and a Vampire Mk4 in the build queue but waiting on some aftermarket stuff for those....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

That's is really a nice Tiffy KM!

I really like what you did with paint chipping and extra rivets, that brought out a few extra details for sure! 

Keep it up!

Thanks Christer - it came out okay - nothing compared to your tiffys of course :)

51 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Excellent Tiffie, had to scroll back to the top to check the scale. 

Pete

Thanks Pete :)