Flying a council house from the upstairs loo

Tramatoa

I read this latest installment of this epic and laughed.  Thank you!

I for one am finding this thread interesting, I flew in the Walter but never worked on it, I was RAF SH not RAF SAR so its interesting to read about the differences and similarities.  Please continue your quest.

A couple of things to consider as you continue to venture forth...

1.  If when you ask at an establishment they tell "we've already got one" in French accents they're lying.  Begin to worry if you hear the words "feche la vache", the immediate action drill for flying cows is to "run away"!

2.  That rabbit is dynamite!

If you don't know what I'm talking about I have to seriously worry about the viewing habits in SAR crewrooms.

17 hours ago, Tramatoa said:

All we need now is for Lancellot to commit to building a 1/32 scale transmission platform................

I managed it (or a reasonable resemblance of one) in my 1/48 build so you should be able to easily manage a more accurate version in 1/32!

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I think you overestimate my current abilities. I intend to give it a crack but not this semester.....

Anyway, as I said I am Gawain in this story, inexperienced knight in shiny new armour, bit of a noob, not Lancelot material at all. 

Regarding the forward hydraulic ground service connections on Post 422, these are for the hoist system which explains why they look to have never been disturbed. 

• 3 weeks later...

My goodness where does the time go?

Since the last instalment I have been pretty maxed out with family stuff but you will be amused to hear that XT604 was again within my grasp and eluded me once more. We had popped down to see Thing 1 and the weather was as miserable as sin. Shopping was inevitable. Completely unprompted she tells us she is off to Benson and  would dearly like to know the basics of Rotorcraft so she doesn't look silly. Ahem says I, there is a possibility that there may be a place we could visit.........

A window in the weather appeared as we drove into the car park and things were looking most promising. I knew in my heart of hearts that Walter was in the hangar for some kind of rework, probably to corroded skin panels but faint heart never won fair maid and you never know who you may get chatting to. To cut a long story short things just didn't work out. The staff on reception were charming but the planets didn't align at all. We had a brew, talked about the Gazelle, admired the exhibits and departed with a wry smile. I think it might be easier to get to see XT670 in Germany, now that's a thought!

Anyway, here is the answer to what is behind John Mullan's bone dome for your consideration. If our resident Fairy can translate into single syllable Rigger speak that would be perfect.

spacer.png

Pip pip,

Tramatoa

Edited by Tramatoa
  • Like 1

Can't help you much with this Comm's stuff as I've never seen most of it before, I think the Pye Olympic and Beaver are either marine or civil emergency radio stuff.  The intercom is the UA60, the buttons on the station box were illuminated, selected the desired radio/navaid and controlled the volume - they were very prone to being booted by clumsy pilots or ham-fisted crewmen...   ...ask me how I know?

• Haha 1

Well, you were pretty close on further investigation. 

SRIM 4019 introduced (Marine Band) HM Coastguard and shipping, (FM) Military and (AM) Civilian Mountain Rescue radios.

SRIM 4026 introduced VHF Aircraft (AM) and Marine Homing (FM) using ARI 18239 Chelton Mk 7 Homing system. Controls were located on the box at STN 103 as shown on the previous schematic.

If you combine the two we have the complete arrangement of the control box front panel. 

spacer.png

I thought while I was on a roll I might as well continue to answer the questions which have been thrown up by our discussions so far before I return to the transmission platform on XV728.

With reference to the final picture on Post 414 of the red pod on the left hand weapons pylon stub of an HCC4 Queen's Flight aircraft which looks like it has been lifted from a 1970's ladies hairdressing salon. As suspected this is an IR Jammer Pod, the museum example is missing the actual Jammer unit and when you see the drawing it all makes perfect sense. Producing one of these to scale would make a challenging little project in its own right.

Pip pip,

Tramatoa

spacer.png

Edited by Tramatoa
  • Like 1

Just for info and totally useless info too, to boot

We had the Pye Olympic systems in AA vehicles in the seventies, replacing Pye Westminsters

Better gear too, by a long chalk

Luckily we never had oddball infra-red jammers too, but knowing AA comms as I do it comes as a massive surprise we didn't

The set in my relay truck had a Dymo label on the recessed face showing the vehicle call sign

(I'll b*gger off now and sit quietly)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where on earth does the time go? Back to work a week today with fully functional U/C three months after the op, and Southport airshow to look forward to at the weekend. 

I thought it might be appropriate to review the information I posted elsewhere just to keep everything in the one place, please be assured that I'm not remotely interested in stat padding. These relate to the image in Post #143 on this thread.

Of particular interest to me was the shape of the Flapping and Drag Hinge Trunnion shown in the IPC drawing. It's impossible to get an idea what this looks like with the head assembled but seen like this it all makes sense.

Pip pip,

Tramatoa.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3d26220d-2b6e-4710-a266-5b1aea3e8fc0.jpg

• Like 1

I've just been working my way through my Village Photos album and came across something I had intended to post a couple of weeks ago. One of the things which I had never really appreciated previously was the superb quality of the illustrations in these manuals. This is the 300 foot winch introduced by Mod 5532 and I take my hat off to whoever drew it. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

I feel I owe you all something of an explanation regarding my inactivity for the last few weeks. Sadly I was one of the casualties when Thomas Cook went bump and it seems that being unemployed is a full time occupation. There's not a lot else to say really, but hopefully I should be back to the minutiae of the Transmission Platform before too long. 

Pip pip,

Tramatoa

49 minutes ago, Tramatoa said:

Gentlemen,

I feel I owe you all something of an explanation regarding my inactivity for the last few weeks. Sadly I was one of the casualties when Thomas Cook went bump and it seems that being unemployed is a full time occupation. There's not a lot else to say really, but hopefully I should be back to the minutiae of the Transmission Platform before too long. 

Pip pip,

Tramatoa

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune.

• Like 1