Help! Overspray issue

Jezleaman

Hi guys,

I’ve sprayed the first few coats of blue on to my model car I’ve been working on and really happy with the results. Today, I’ve masked off areas and spray painted some black detailing/car markings. I’ve just removed some of the masking tape and there’s some bits of black overspray and areas where the black has over run a little bit. When the paints fully dry, will wet sanding remove the overspray black and keep the blue underneath?

Also, should you wait until the paint is completely cured before removing the masking tape?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jez

Hi Jez,

masking is one of the topics which everyone of us is facing sooner or later.. the problem is:

waiting too long will give you problems... so don't wait too long seperating the masking Tape bcs as long as the colour is somehow kind of wet and did not settle permanent, you will have the chance to get a real sharp line

Hope it helps and sorry for the imperfect Englisch...

Cheers

Marco F

My first build was a two-tone scheme and I was also struggling with the masking and bleeding paint. The first time I ended up stripping the paint and starting over. Eventually I had a result that I was happy with, but it didn't come naturally so to speak. I started masking in multiple layers, towards the part I wanted to spray. Later, I read about people "sealing" their masking tape with some clear, I might try that next time. I remove the masking tape after the paint has settled for a bit but before fully cured like Marco says. On the other hand, some wait longer. It's probably a personal thing. Sanding to remove the bleeding is tricky, you'd have to be very very careful. I found that if the paint has not settled, you can gently remove it with the tip of a cocktail stick / tooth pick depending on where in the world you are. A cotton bud might work. Of course, no guarantees. Last resort is starting over. A lot depends on the quality of the masking tape (something to experiment with) and the masking itself (practice). Good luck! By the way it may help to post some pics of the result, that could generate some more advice.

The other standard procedure is once the masking has gone down on the base coat, spray a further coat of base colour to seal (any bleed is then base colour and the gaps are sealed). Once dry, spray the desired colour over the base colour and it should be a clean line.

Also, smoothing down the edge of the masking tape with a blunt tool as well as possible is key.

• Like 2