British Flying Heavy Metal, Victor B.2

Hi Chaps.

After my LMF incident with the Vulcan (roll on Telford & hope my dreams come true I say) I bring you this little beauty.

Airfix's very lovely looking Victor.

The Victor is one of those quintessentially British aeroplanes, stung by Harris' and the Ministry's criticism of the Halifax in WW.2 and the plethora of new advances in engines and aerodynamics on the scene in the early 1950's the Victor was Handley Page's answer to the specification requirments. 

Keen to out do "those bar stewards at Woodford" or A.V.Roe & Co. as everyone else knew them HP went and snaffled some top German boffins, folk who had worked with the Horten Brothers no less, and got the back room boys at Radlett out of their brown jackets and into some lab coats and created the marvel of aerodynamics that is the Victor.  

The criticism that most stung over the Halifax was that there was no point developing it because of the small bomb bay, well the Victor righted that!  The bomb bay of a Victor not only could carry any ordnance in use or planned at the time but it also backed up a a handy cathedral or bus storage depot... It's HUGE!

The B.1 was pretty, briefly supersonic and flawed.  

The B.2 was an altogether more useful bit of kit, but still a little hamstrung as the RR Conways could not achieve full power due to inlet shape issues.

King of the hill until the usual V-Bomber woes of Zinc based Duraluminum cracking issues, the Gary Powers incident and some ungainly big missile that Woodford designed especially so it wouldn't fit neatly under a Victor saw it relegated to Tanking from the late 1960's onwards.

The mighty Victor has the last laugh, Last V Bomber to retire, 40+ years sterling service to the RAF.

Please enjoy my rather swift and OOB build.

Only mods is mine is NOT going to be a Blue Steel example, but rather a freefall bomber version, keeping it all HP. 

Enjoy.

tn_2cae2083-7607-4419-b293-f95efc0c19f1.

tn_12da68ff-2d55-41b1-b570-3b4142fa527a.

I have the Warpaint guide to the Victor as well, and some other bits of info about the house.

• Like 3

Started last night, sub assemblies.  Cockpit, air brake, the utterly beautiful main gear legs.

I have left the retraction rod off the nose gear leg until after paint so I can retract it for painting.

tn_13432895-78ad-4c72-87d4-cfcebdefa2c6.

tn_8386072d-70d2-485c-a208-2a1200e4548c.

Paints so far Humbrol Metalcote silver for the silver bits, Games Workshop Chaos Black for the cockpit with a little dry brushing in Tamiya Royal Light Grey and some detail painting with various Tamiya paints.

I did paint the Radar display screen in Gunze Emerald green in the hope it would be visible from out side but no chance.  Even with out the transparencies in it's barely visible.  Oh well, should have learned with the Shackleton and just banged it all in black and fitted it!

Those main gear legs are a work of art though!

• Like 2

Today I have built an upper wing, the intake soulution is genius. and really looks the part.

The wing spar and centre hump is so typically brilliant, and very much what I am finding with all the latest Airfix kits, this the Shackleton and the Gnat, things almost click together.  That's pretty much how I am building this, dry fitting and then running Tamiya Etra Thin cement along the join and letting capillary action do the work.

tn_0b59b4b6-facd-41cd-8913-4daeeb381034. 

tn_4dbd98f7-bb41-4a57-b4c0-fdfa737a008c.

tn_225d4580-e0e8-419c-b301-e9ed4dde21ea.

• Like 2

Thanks, the advantage of crap weather is I get to indulge myself...

Fuselage sewn up tonight.  Need to go to Games Workshop for some Coarax White...

tn_d451d2f2-1ee5-46b4-8a19-e6910b9dc85b.

• Like 1

Started to put primer on, used Games Workshop Chaos Black as a base to see any imperfections, now dusting on multiple thin coats of Halfords white before dusting on a light coat of Appliance White.

tn_43cb0a55-3511-4ae2-a3e9-2a97756aa489.

• Like 3

Finished.

Really happy with it actually. 

Halfords appliance white, Xtra-decal sheet, some black eye shadow for soot staining on the undersides.  Otherwise OOB.

Enjoy.

tn_c3bfbe23-5431-4922-9432-179b14c249ff.

tn_eb22d49b-c6d7-4422-b4fa-a30c84d0e259.

tn_95e45641-c4cd-481c-a12e-1539044fa2ed.

tn_f41f8168-4c2a-473d-8710-deb05c2c27d4.

tn_c6727bed-6135-4e11-8128-80cbd9f0c3ba.

tn_07701d96-24ec-4109-b1a4-38a315144748.

• Like 3

That is really nice! Some larger pictures would be welcome.

The Airfix guys at Telford said that further releases would be announced on January 4 and that "many people will be happy". Could mean anything but my bet is a new Vulcan............

• Like 2

I remember, 35 years or so ago, hearing the sound of multiple jet engines and going out into the garden to see 4 Victors in diamond formation heading pretty much due North, straight over our house. High, but not high enough for contrails. It's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in the air. 

I bought the Rareplanes vacform when it came out, and the Matchbox kit when it came along but so far I've passed on the Airfix kit as I don't really have any room for the finished item but this build is denting my resolution. 

Lovely job. 

John 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, John said:

I remember, 35 years or so ago, hearing the sound of multiple jet engines and going out into the garden to see 4 Victors in diamond formation heading pretty much due North, straight over our house. High, but not high enough for contrails. It's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in the air. 

I bought the Rareplanes vacform when it came out, and the Matchbox kit when it came along but so far I've passed on the Airfix kit as I don't really have any room for the finished item but this build is denting my resolution. 

Lovely job. 

John 

Thanks, Hope I lead you astray!!!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1