Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk Vb

So looked much better in matt...

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

...so it was on to some weathering. I've only ever done one other, so I am sticking to what I know at this point - so the end result will be a 'used' Spitfire - as opposed to a polished-to-perfection version! I am very aware that half the skill during this next stage is knowing when to stop...
I'm missing my Tamiya Panel Gap wash (waaaay too dangerous for the UK apparently!) which worked very well, so it is straight to the oils....

IMG_5114_1.jpg

...always a bit scary this bit...

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

...and then wipe off, hopefully leaving some detail behind! I wipe in the 'direction' of the airflow. The molded rivets did not hold much black - but I think it turned out ok.

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

I pretty quickly started on adding localised detail, in the form of stains, smoke trails, exhaust etc...again using oils. I dotted oil on and brushed with a 'dry' brush. Used a mix of black and some burnt umber.

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

You can see I have added some more parts - the light behind the cockpit, and the aerial mast.

I added the cockpit canopy - fitted surprisingly well, and the sliding bit...slides!

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

At this point I also glued the prop on, and the airspeed tube on the underside of the wing (if that is what it is) - I also added an aerial wire - I AM AWARE THIS MAY NOT BE PERIOD/CORRECT :) - but it is a nice detail - I was showing my 'customer/mate' a little later yesterday, so I wanted all the fine stuff on - I'll probably take the wire back off again though... 

I used Tamiya flat clear sprayed from the can between various layers of oil etc - otherwise finger marks will show. The only main parts missing on these final photos are the exhausts - although I have added the exhaust staining. So very almost there! Just got to figure out how to mount it (in flight) but I do want to show it 'banking' as opposed to in level flight. 

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

For such a much-maligned kit, I'm pretty chuffed with the end result...when it is 100% finished, I want to take some proper pictures of it - it is big though! I may even try some taken at the old WW2 airfield that is a few miles away - Harrowbeer, Yelverton.

IMG_5177.jpg

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final post on this one - it's a bloody miracle but I've actually finished a model, after numerous WIP threads....

Final touches first...

With this model being wheels up I needed some sort of stand to display it. Th eSpitfire is iconic in that banked view, so I wanted Mark to have the option of displaying like that - but this is also a big kit...

I'm quite chuffed with my solution...buy one LED light from IKEA, take out the lighty bits, cut the bendy bit down, add some supporting washers and enlarge the hole for the nav light in the belly of the plane - et voila - fully adjustable stand....it has worked really well - and the remaining bendy bit has been reunited with the light bits, given a wooden base and now becomes a usable LED light again....

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

The model fits snuggly on the stand with no glue, so can be removed as required...

Final pieces on the kit was the exhausts. I added a bit of texture and weathered them a bit - and then used graphite pencil scrapings to add that metallic finish...

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6122.jpg

And that was it! 

P1080692.jpg

So onto the finished pictures...

• Like 12

• 5 months later...

Good evening all, I’m new to this model site and am trying to get back into  modelling as a way of managing my PTSD, I am just starting this model myself after digging it out of the loft.  

The kit kit is okay, lots of flash and on opening missing the entire  fuselage, air fix sent a replacement today but it’s missing a large chunk behind the cockpit which I hope will be replaced by Airfix. 

For the time being I’m starting in the engine and wings etc.  there is mention of a droopy wing, just wondering how this is solved?

sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area

any advice would be great

jordy

• Like 1

Hi Jordy.

Might make sense to start your own thread on this one - I'll see if I can be your 1st follower. I've got one of these on the go too (well - on the shelf of doom but I'm a deluded optimist) and made myself a little brass/styrene spar to help prevent the wings drooping too much. Somewhere I have dimensioned drawings - which I'll post on your thread when I find them.

My personal advice would be to match your ambition with this model to your skills. The base kit has got many shortcomings but (ask me how I know) trying to improve too many of them can result in a dusty collection of parts rather than the above masterpiece. You will not have this problem of course but beware. :D

Kirk

• Like 1

Hello Kirk,

thank you you for your advice, and I will certainly plan on bearing it in mind.

i will start a new thread on the build once i begin ( got to finish the PT109 for my 8 year old first😂)

hopefully I will also have the new fuselage by that time also.

if I could produce a model that is acceptable I will be happy, the people on here are just amazing to turn out examples like these.

• Like 2

Great idea on the lamp stand. Is there any issue with model weight/size and flex in the metal lamp stem supporting the model. 

Im always looking for in-flight base ideas and yours is for sure a winner. 

Cheers

Collin

• 8 months later...