Tamiya Extra Thin on painted parts

beetcleaner

I've seen quite a few videos online of models being assembled with TET after the parts have been painted. I'm about to build the Airfix 1/72 B17G Flying Fortress and with so many different coloured parts inside the fuselage it would be useful to glue things together post painting.

Does anyone have any experience of this on Humbrol enamels which is my paint of choice?

Thanks for any advice

It works but doesn't leave the strongest bond. I would also recommend that if you do this use a seperate brush rather than the integral capbrush. This practice will discolor and ultimately affect the Tamiya extra thin over time, ask me how i know 🤬? I recommend a cheap brush rinsed and dryed after each use. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Second everything Dennis said...down to what seems precisely the same experience with befouling the cap-brush and TET, in that order.

I have learned that any tiny scrape of clean plastic...even deep in a seam or under a part...will help the strength of the bond considerably. (Also that---using Tamiya acrylics almost exclusively as I do---they are delightfully tolerant of the occasional accidental 'glancing blow' from seeping Extra-Thin, rarely spotting or lifting as a result. Doubt that would be the same for enamels, unfortunately....)

Cheers

• Like 1

Have done this for a while and as the two posters advice above I can only add that if you can, mask off the contact areas of the parts using thin strips of masking tape, or even small dots of copydex in the hard to reach areas, remove before final gluing as this helps the bond 10 fold