Coastal Command Early B-17s

JOCKNEY

I would like the build the Academy B-17C in Coastal Command colours but wanted to know if these aircraft were covered in antennas like the Whitley and Sunderland ?

The picture below (2nd one down) does show any and there are none in the kit.

Any assistance greatly appreciated 

cheers Pat

IMG_4125

Hello Pat @JOCKNEY ... This is an “E”. I believe thats a IIA .

7f729KF.jpg

Then there is this.

hlQYz0X.jpg

Though it might be an RAF bird ? This is from the UAMF. 

VwTlsgT.jpg

You should also remember wartime photo’s were airbrushed for security reasons. So they may not show antenna’s and other equipment. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hi Pat

I think you could safely do NR*L / AN537 illustrated above with or without the ASV antenna's.

It was operating with 220 Sqn. (NR codes) before they moved to Ballykelly and pooled some aircraft with the Coastal Command Developement Unit, who fitted the ASV aerials. Note this aircraft was also fitted with underwing depth charge racks.

Decals for this aircraft are in the Italeri boxing, or on an old Microscale sheet (21) for RAF Liberators and Fortress I's

As for the aerials themselves, Amazon are currently selling them for around £16.00, as discussed in another thread - may sound a tad pricey, but you do get a free Airfix Whitley VII with them!

Alternatively Eduard do a set of ASV antenna's for the Whitley VII set 72637

• Like 2

Looking at my copy of the Allied Wings monograph No. 7, Boeing Fortress Mk I, there is a notation that two No, 220 Sq. aircraft were fitted with racks for depth charges, AN531/NR-O and AN 537NR-L, so you could model either of those without the antenna array. There is one b&w photo of 'L' without the antenna array as well as a color profile of it with the antennas, but with  a statement accompanying that the presence of the antennas is provisional. Other known 220 Sq. Forts are listed: AN520/NR-D, AN527/NR-A, and  AN530/NR-F. Not sure if this helps, but it's the best I could do from my references. Regarding the depth charge racks- I'm not sure those were fitted under the wing; more likely in the bomb bay. I have  seen a photo of a Fortress  Mk II being loaded with depth charges  in the bomb bay, but none of a Mk I. The only underwing bomb racks I can recall were for the B-17F/G's, which could have one fitted to each inner wing, but were seldom used. I could be (and often am) wrong on that- maybe a resident authority can confirm or elaborate. The early Forts were pretty, with that shark fin, but even prettier in coastal command colors- good luck!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
changed text for clarity
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The only underwing bomb racks I can recall were for the B-17F/G's, which could have one fitted to each inner wing, but were seldom used. I could be (and often are!) wrong on that- maybe a resident authority can confirm or elaborate.

Mike

@72modeler That should be "(and often am)" with no exclaimation mark. Just saying.😏

DennisTheBear

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

@72modeler That should be "(and often am)" with no exclaimation mark. Just saying.😏

DennisTheBear

Jeez, tough crowd! (Thought about that- typed it both ways, but sent the wrong one, evidently....and I was an Honors English student all thru jr. high and high school.)

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Info and research really appreciated.

This immediately came to mind, enjoy !

I can picture Dennis flexing a large ruler with lots of pens (mostly Red) sticking out of his jacket breast pocket !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Pat,

I have a Fly Whitley MkVII which I am going to build without aerials. It has a nice etch with the aerials on which are yours if you want. If you wish them PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post. It may take a day or two as I'll have to dig it out and I've a couple of busy days coming up but I'm sure time is still on your side. 

I can't see any antenna on this Mk.II but it does have the underwing and nose-mounted aerials. From the IWM.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.43814381.93059110

This one, too.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.40092778.93059110

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.40216042.93059110

After searching through 60 pages, each with 15 images on them, I could not find one with a Mk.I Fortress fitted with search radar aerials.

Chris

• Like 1