Vallejo Gloss Black Primer Fail

KonaDawg

Very strange, I've used Vallejo's black primer several times and found it very tough.

I also used it on a model built for a GB here that being in natural metal required a lot of handling and masking to paint the various panels and never had problems with the primer

Wonder if the plastic on your model had traces of mould release agent or similar that prevented the primer from gripping ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KonaDawg said:

Sick of Vallejo airbrush paints, they are hopeless.

Yet many people get on very well with them despite their (deserved) reputation for being delicate.

Perhaps it's something you're doing that's causing the problem?

• Like 1

It's possible...... I did add a few drops of Vallejo thinner to the primer and paint to help it flow better.  I did give the parts a quick scrub in soapy water, dried them off and then painted a few weeks later.  Guess it must have been something I missed or this batch of black primer was faulty.... I'll stick to Tamiya gloss black and see how that goes. No dramas 😁

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Very strange, I've used Vallejo's black primer several times and found it very tough.

I also used it on a model built for a GB here that being in natural metal required a lot of handling and masking to paint the various panels and never had problems with the primer

Wonder if the plastic on your model had traces of mould release agent or similar that prevented the primer from gripping ?

I think there must have been some contamination as you suggest.  I masked the wing walkways and they are undamaged. Ah well, will struggle on 😊. Thanks for your comments all.

Edited by KonaDawg
Spellings

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Managed to find time to do a bit more work on this.  Just really messing about with some techniques but it's been a fun build.  Used Vallejo metal varnish which looks not too bad but it's still a bit sticky after 3 weeks 😊.  Thanks for looking.

2018-11-19_04-14-19

• Like 3

I had problems like that when I first started using Vallejo paints. I think the problem was that I hadn't allowed the paint to cure properly before putting down masking tape and consequently it lifted the paint when it was removed. Now I routinely allow the paint 24 hours to cure before masking and have not experienced the same effect.

• Like 1