Matchbox Phantom F4K

This build started a bit of a while ago in a Group Build and latterly was a labour of love. But it is finished. It is also an example of what's great about BM. Rob G in Australia gifted me a replacement set of tailplanes and Brianthemodeller a set of Airfix stencils. 

Its finished as an 892 Squadron aircraft from HMS Ark Royal in 1969. It's not quite OOB as the fin was recharged and shaped to remove the RWR fitment, which took a fair while due to the hardness of the plastic. I added some seat belts from painted Tamiya tape but otherwise to keep the Matchbox feel nothing else was changed. The upperworks were painted in Xtracrylix Extra Dark Sea Grey and the underside in Citadel Ceramite White finished off with Kleer. As well as Brian's stencils I used the original MB transfers, which considering were probably 30/40 years old went on fine, albeit a little yellowed on the underside serials. 

The build thread is here: 

resized_52ae4030-f781-4827-b77b-84424cd4

resized_8cf560af-f858-4ca9-810b-c8fe3e28

resized_d95fbf1b-a883-4de4-b3ae-75d09437

resized_3eafcdf7-3145-4306-836e-6766498e

An underside shot to show the multitude of stencils if nothing else 

resized_910e0066-9a8a-4b23-8e28-6d3a0ca3

And a comparison with a Seafire from 1945

resized_3d295bf5-132d-4d7b-b4a7-c3975639

• Like 22

To he honest, I'd clean forgotten about sending the bits away. Glad that they were of use!

@Retired Bob there's nothing masochistic about building (most) Matchbox kits. As a general rule they almost click together and there's usually few alignment issues or overly complex assemblies. Some of their kits are still the only examples available in any scale or medium. Roll on the next Matchbox GB, I say!

Edited by Rob G
Speeling erorr repare.

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

To he honest, I'd clean forgotten about sending the bits away. Glad that they were of use!

@Retired Bob there's nothing masochist about building (most) Matchbox kits. As a general rule they almost click together and there's usually few alignment issues or overly complex assemblies. Some of their kits are still the only examples available in any scale or medium. Roll on the next Matchbox GB, I say!

I have to agree with you, they did some different aircraft, and I remember their 1/76? afv's with a little a little base, that was neat for the younger modeller. I suppose my gut reaction was the memory of one sprue deeply engraved and in a bright colour, the next with raised panel lines in another garish colour, the few in my stash are anyway.

Bob