Yamaha YZF-R1M (Tamiya, 1/12)

Yes, something completely different for me. First motorcycle. New issue from Tamiya - Yamaha YZF-R1M. Supported by Upgrade Kit by Tamiya too and well... Service Manual of the actual bike.

I'm building this model for some time, so here I will show some crucial steps along with current status and from now on it will be continued here.

This is how it started:

Frame:

Aah3wz9.jpg?1

The main part is hydroformed aluminium while the seat subframe is made of magnesium. In the kit, it doesn't show but the engine frame has a subtle texture. It is not something very distinctive but gives completely different light reflection, even all is painted with Tamiya's X-18 coated with Vallejo polyacrylate clear satin (it is used across the build along with AK's gloss and matt where required).  

vIoKRJg.jpg?1

The cut out seen here has been filled up as it doesn't exist in the real bike., Probably it's here because when installing rear suspension damper in some cases it could not fit. But it is not the case when you do this carefully.

Engine:

gowNxfD.jpg?1

Here I added secondary ignition wires as well as hoses for Air Induction System. The latter one is made of Tamiya's epoxy rolled to a thick wire and installed before it sets but after it is not runny. Added valve made of styrene. This section will be almost invisible but still may be spotted somewhere between a radiator and engine cowling.

OtGsM7E.jpg?1

Here shown back of airbox backside. Added some wiring and piping - fuel line to the secondary injectors, wire for secondary ignition as well as crankcase breather hose. The latter one role is to disperse compressed air created during crankshaft rotation.

Rear suspension damper:

07qpKHM.jpg?1

A mix of kit part and upgrade set (spring and golden cylinder). Painted with Xtreme Metal Chrome.

Current status:

xkllYhO.jpg?1

TbQ5Lnl.jpg?1

SRd5CmG.jpg?1

Installed rear swing arm with all components. Exhaust and radiators. Some piping to be connected and wiring added. So far most heavily modified section is brake system. But this I will show in details once I will install the last of the wires.

Any comments and critique are greatly welcomed.

• Like 3

Here it comes. Bottom of the fuel tank which may visible from the bottom at some angle. Made of Tamiya epoxy putty and roughly cut to the final dimensions. Now some sanding and shaping to get the proper look, follow by some detailing with wire and tubing. You may also note cut out slots at front of the airbox cover.

2d78ngZ.jpg?3

• Like 1