Preliminary inquiry - correction for Academy Catalina.

Admiral Puff

The proof-of-concept model works fine. I scribed around the upper surface edge of the nacelle and then ground out the lower edge with dental burr in a motor tool until a thin gap was evident. The resultant void was chamfered with a reciprocal sander. The whole thing took about 10  minutes. I think it could be done similarly with a piercing saw and hand-sanded in maybe 15 minutes if you are not mad on motor tools. 

Although it's not a lot bigger than the Academy nacelle the result is very noticeable and will improve the kit a lot.

52070566282_858412c8ee_b.jpg

The gap should be easily filled and made good. Those rivets need a bit of reduction but you would not want to sand them all off.

52071650728_1338986106_h.jpg

The resin part is just held here with a bit of blu-tak and is positioned so the 'wings' on the resin part are in line with the kit leading edge. I think 10-minute Araldite may be best to hold it in place permanently. Maybe a simple wooden jig to keep both nacelles aligned might be advisable - just a piece of flat strip, two holes to clear the engine lugs and some double sided tape.

52071616931_272e57f720_b.jpg

It may be a few weeks or maybe a couple of months to make enough of these sets to supply the expected demand. However the idea is to make enough so nobody misses out. Even if you don't get one in the first release we will keep making them. Thanks to everyone who responded. if you didn't put your email in the PM it is assumed you have signed up for the newsletter.

I'm planning to do mine as a Qantas Double Sunrise Catalina and I will do a WIP here in due course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

May I suggest adding a dimensioned sketch of the proposed alignment jig to the instructions? Or even a 'cut it out and glue it the wood' 1:1 plan? Just a thought, I'm still up for at least 4 sets.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

May I suggest adding a dimensioned sketch of the proposed alignment jig to the instructions? Or even a 'cut it out and glue it the wood' 1:1 plan? Just a thought, I'm still up for at least 4 sets.

52072455015_00d87ebe9f_h.jpg

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...