Preliminary inquiry - correction for Academy Catalina.

Admiral Puff

The proof-of-concept model works fine. I scribed around the upper surface edge of the nacelle and then ground out the lower edge with dental burr in a motor tool until a thin gap was evident. The resultant void was chamfered with a reciprocal sander. The whole thing took about 10  minutes. I think it could be done similarly with a piercing saw and hand-sanded in maybe 15 minutes if you are not mad on motor tools. 

Although it's not a lot bigger than the Academy nacelle the result is very noticeable and will improve the kit a lot.

52070566282_858412c8ee_b.jpg

The gap should be easily filled and made good. Those rivets need a bit of reduction but you would not want to sand them all off.

52071650728_1338986106_h.jpg

The resin part is just held here with a bit of blu-tak and is positioned so the 'wings' on the resin part are in line with the kit leading edge. I think 10-minute Araldite may be best to hold it in place permanently. Maybe a simple wooden jig to keep both nacelles aligned might be advisable - just a piece of flat strip, two holes to clear the engine lugs and some double sided tape.

52071616931_272e57f720_b.jpg

It may be a few weeks or maybe a couple of months to make enough of these sets to supply the expected demand. However the idea is to make enough so nobody misses out. Even if you don't get one in the first release we will keep making them. Thanks to everyone who responded. if you didn't put your email in the PM it is assumed you have signed up for the newsletter.

I'm planning to do mine as a Qantas Double Sunrise Catalina and I will do a WIP here in due course.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

May I suggest adding a dimensioned sketch of the proposed alignment jig to the instructions? Or even a 'cut it out and glue it the wood' 1:1 plan? Just a thought, I'm still up for at least 4 sets.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

May I suggest adding a dimensioned sketch of the proposed alignment jig to the instructions? Or even a 'cut it out and glue it the wood' 1:1 plan? Just a thought, I'm still up for at least 4 sets.

52072455015_00d87ebe9f_h.jpg

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did not check every page of the thread, but if not mentioned, a new fuselage section between the tail and just aft of the wing may need considering.  I don't have the kit, but based on their profile drawings and compared to those of William Wylam, the Academy kit seem to share the same problem as the 1/48 Revell kit.  The fuselage is too flat on top, causing the waist gun canopies to sit too close together.

spacer.png

Edited by JackG

Compared to a real one, the Wylum drawings looks to have the blisters too widely spaced. However, it is not easy interpreting a flat drawing of a curved surface.

52230212888_57847a4ecb.jpg

Compared to a real model. the Academy (centre) drawing looks to have the blisters too close together. Again, flat drawing, curved surface.

52230690635_e4c17cbbb4_w.jpg

The best comparison is to look at your completed model compared to photos of a real one. To me, any discrepancy is minor compared to the engine and nacelle size problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:47 AM, Ed Russell said:

Read my post from May 12. Yes, they are a joint development by HPM and Red Roo.

I'll order mine via HPM - don't have a CC so that limits options ;)

On 7/20/2022 at 11:39 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

And now the Redroo parts are on sale, mine have been ordered already

regards Toby

Annoyingly, I haven't received the promised email about that. Now that I know, I'll go and order what I need. Thanks for the heads-up! 

4 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Annoyingly, I haven't received the promised email about that. Now that I know, I'll go and order what I need. Thanks for the heads-up! 

I don't have an email address recorded for you but you received a PM at 6:09PM last Wednesday which you have not read yet.

To order a set go to the web site here.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/catalina-engine-correction-set-1-72/

30 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

I don't have an email address recorded for you but you received a PM at 6:09PM last Wednesday which you have not read yet.

To order a set go to the web site here.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/catalina-engine-correction-set-1-72/

Thanks Ed. I signed up for the newsletter on the website, which was what I understood to be required (and I have received emails from RR, just not about this set) and BM isn't showing that I have messages waiting ... Gotta love technology, eh. 

No dramas, I'll get online and order what I need today. Thanks! 

Edit: I looked, and there's no unread PM waiting for me. I'm only using 1% of my allotted space, so who knows? The forum does seem to swallow things from time to time. Gotta love technology...  

30 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Edit: I looked, and there's no unread PM waiting for me. I'm only using 1% of my allotted space, so who knows? The forum does seem to swallow things from time to time. Gotta love technology...  

That's strange. I will get @Mike to look at it. Looks like @Greenshirt and @donaldAnderson haven't read theirs either.

Edit - there might be a difference between @RobG and @Rob G. Another reason to use your name here!52236848439_e98d3a6f22_h.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:47 AM, Ed Russell said:

Compared to a real one, the Wylum drawings looks to have the blisters too widely spaced. However, it is not easy interpreting a flat drawing of a curved surface.

I can measure it from the HARS Cat next time I'm there, if you like?

I've got my correction set now, too - thanks Ed and Chris!