Preliminary inquiry - correction for Academy Catalina.

Admiral Puff

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

perhaps replacement cowlings for a Privateer might come to mind?

Graham,

The cowlings for the PB4Y-2 are not circular, but oval shaped, with a small lip intake at 12 o'clock and a larger one at 6 o'clock. They are very similar to B-24D-M cowlings but are rotated 90 degrees and since the Privateers had the tubosuperchargers deleted, there was no need for a large intake for the intercooler-  the small one fed the carburetor and the large one fed the oil cooler.

IIRC, the original Revell PBY kit cowlings were correct at 20mm; it's the reboxed Academy PBY in a Revell box that are 18mm.

@Admiral Puff and @Ed Russell,

I found a very good walkaround on the PBY-5A that has excellent closeups of the cowling, intakes, exhausts, and oil coolers that might be helpful if you don't already have it. I tried posting it in the walkaround section but could not get it done. (Julien or Mike- can you move it to the propeller-driven aircraft firum under aircraft walkarounds?)

Merry Xmas, chaps!

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/consolidated-pby-5-a-catalina/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The Privateer I saw had circular cowlings, which presumably affected my thinking, but on further reflection it was a firebomber and they had ex-B-25 cowlings, so ruled out anyway.

Yep, I think every one of the airworthy and all but one of the preserved museum Privateers had their R-1830's swapped for QEC R-2600 B-25 engines, cowlings, and props, as they were readily available, cheap, and offered more power. IIRC the PB4Y-2 that the Pima Museum bought from the Lone Star Flight Museum, which had the B-25 engines/cowlings/props fitted has been retrofitted with the proper engines, cowlings, and props- I'm betting when the firebomber outfits made the conversion, they saved some original bits. Off-topic, but I used to go see that Privateer almost every year for 10 years to witness its restoration back to original combat configuration, but with the B-25 powerplants, as it was going to be  airworthy. When it was submerged in salt water up to the middle of her fuselage during the hurricane/flood surge during the last big storm, there was no way the corrosion could be repaired, so it was sold to Pima to become a static display airframe-  a real shame!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Okay, so I'm understanding that the old Revell PBY kits have correctly sized cowls and nacelles?

J.C., I picked up both the Revell and Airfix PBYs.  When comparing, the Revell nacelles appeared to be only minimally larger in diameter (if at all) than the Academy ones.  Although I did like their overall shape when compared to the Academy kit.

Airfix's on the other hand, may be better suited.  Although I do prefer Revell's engine cowlings with their separate engine inserts, I think I would lean towards using the Airfix kit and try to improve the cowlings there (Airfix has the engines and cowlings molded as one piece).

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:46 AM, Ed Russell said:

We are not keeping a tally at this stage. Once it is ready I will PM each person who responded here with the link to them.

It may be some time but it should happen - build something else while you are waiting!

Add me to the list please...:thumbsup2:

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 3:46 AM, Ed Russell said:

We are not keeping a tally at this stage. Once it is ready I will PM each person who responded here with the link to them.

It may be some time but it should happen - build something else while you are waiting!

And add one more to the list please :)

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The Special Hobby Sunderland Mk V  should have proper cowlings for both: Liberator LB30 and Catalina, please have a look at that frame:

28454_1_sph72162_9.jpg

I do not have this kit to check diameter, but the scale on bottom part of above figure allows to do this and it is definitely closer to 20 mm than to 18 mm. :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let me know if you need anything extra - I'm making regular trips to HARS now and can get access to whatever you need from our PBY-6A, thanks to the project lead, Gordon Glynn.

• Like 1

@JWM

Wow! The diameter on my Revell PBY cowlings, which are considered to be  correct, is 20 mm, so the Sunderland V R-1830 cowlings will work; not sure I want to trash my Mk V kit just for the cowlings, props, and engines, especially as the R-1830 powered version is my favorite Porcupine! Dunno why I didn't think to check my SH kit when I got it!

@Admiral Puff

No biggie; we've waited this long for accurate PBY cowls and nacelle fairings, what's a little more time?  Thanks from all of us for your efforts; by the  number of interested parties, you better lay in a 55-gallon drum of resin to meet the demand! :giggle:

Mike  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Let me know if you need anything extra - I'm making regular trips to HARS now and can get access to whatever you need from our PBY-6A, thanks to the project lead, Gordon Glynn.

Thanks, Rob - I think I've got all the numbers I need, it's just a matter of turning them into something three dimensional!

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! The diameter on my Revell PBY cowlings, which are considered to be  correct, is 20 mm, so the Sunderland V R-1830 cowlings will work; not sure I want to trash my Mk V kit just for the cowlings, props, and engines, especially as the R-1830 powered version is my favorite Porcupine! Dunno why I didn't think to check my SH kit when I got it!

The best solution is to copy all needed parts in resin, otherwise you'll ruin your SH Sunderland which is perhaps too expensive to use as donor...But it is great to have a bits ready to copy! The minimum is just to copy cowlings.

Regards

J-W

• Like 4

On 3/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, Bell209 said:

Hey Rob

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but do you have access to beaching gear or the big radar pod behind the cockpit glazing?  Needing some info/dims for my HpH Catalina conversion

Cheers Anthony

On 3/21/2021 at 6:05 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Hey Rob

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but do you have access to beaching gear or the big radar pod behind the cockpit glazing?  Needing some info/dims for my HpH Catalina conversion

Cheers Anthony

Sorry, Anthony; our Cat is a PBY-6A, so doesn't have beaching gear. It doesn't have the radar pod, either. I've got the Maintenance Manuals on USB somewhere - I just have to find them!