Preliminary inquiry - correction for Academy Catalina.

Admiral Puff

The only thing that's been keeping me from building an Academy Catalina is those skinny nacelles and undersized cowlings. I like the idea of a complete new center section, but one that is two-piece (top and bottom) and hollow to reduce weight and allow for a spar, as has already been suggested. I could see myself buying at least two sets, possibly more. And I do think that demand will increase once they are made available and publicized.

The HARS Cat will be at the Edinburgh Air Show, if that makes access any easier for measurements? I'm a member and can probably tee something up, if you're interested?

• 1 month later...

I saw the workings - basically every part is made - so far of this conversion and we had a discussion (myself, @Admiral Puff and others) about how it might best be manufactured. We don't like the full centre section option on the grounds of expense (mainly) and we appreciate that the most unskilled modeller wanting to do the conversion will be capable of a bit of cutting and replacing. So a remove and  drop in system seems best. Apart from the complete power plant assembly we will include instructions for correcting the hatches and any other minor additions that people might like.

So, it is well on the way. I want to do a couple of Catalinas so that's an incentive to get on with it. Timeline.........?  https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/douglas_adams_134151

• Like 8

I am quite interested in this.  Question for you, as opposed to a set that might involved cutting  and then replacing the engine nacelles (if I understood correctly that this may the road to go down), would it not be possible to come up with a set that would see one placing the correctly sized engines over the existing undersized kit ones?  Even if it meant grinding down the plastic nacelles to allow a hollowed out resin nacelle to sit in place correctly, would that not be a potentially better route?

It's possible to design a set like that but my feeling is that grinding would be more work than a clean cut and casting very thin items in this shape is problematic.  I'm happy to listen to other peoples' suggestions. I imagine every modeller wanting to do this conversion would have a razor saw.

This sort of thing.......... https://www.redroomodels.com/product/razor-saw-jlc/

• Sad 1

Don't make no never mind to me how the correction parts are engineered- I will just be soooo happy to be able to build an accurate Catalina. I do agree that a set of drawings and comments on correct hatches, panels, blisters,exhausts. props, oil coolers and intakes,etc. would be very useful and appreciated! I say go for it, guys- I'm in for two sets for sure! 👍

Mike

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 2:49 AM, Ed Russell said:

It's possible to design a set like that but my feeling is that grinding would be more work than a clean cut and casting very thin items in this shape is problematic.  I'm happy to listen to other peoples' suggestions. I imagine every modeller wanting to do this conversion would have a razor saw.

This sort of thing.......... https://www.redroomodels.com/product/razor-saw-jlc/

Interestingly Kora did several conversion sets (which included the engine nacelles) for the Revell Ju 86 Civilian version and they went with a set of nacelles that did not require the builder to chop up the wing.  Strikes me a far more user friendly and it leaves the structural integrity of the wing intact (ie. fewer glue joints...):

spacer.png

Of course, if you fellas do not have the ability to produce a set in such a manner, I'd understand why you might want to go a different route.

43 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Yeah well W.M., feel free to post us your masters for this conversion and we'll do a version for people who can't saw.

Geez buddy, what's your problem?  Why the snide remarks?  You run a business with an attitude like that?  Wow.  I was only trying to be helpful.

3 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Interestingly Kora did several conversion sets (which included the engine nacelles) for the Revell Ju 86 Civilian version and they went with a set of nacelles that did not require the builder to chop up the wing.  Strikes me a far more user friendly and it leaves the structural integrity of the wing intact (ie. fewer glue joints...):

spacer.png

William, you were doing fine up till this point, not unreasonable, objective even. The next part was unnecessary in the extreme. Calling other peoples abilities into doubt is poor form, in RFI threads & this sort of discussion. IMHO.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1