1/72 - de Havilland DH.106 Comet 4C by Mach 2 - released - Whirlybird Models exhaust pipes

Homebee

On 14/11/2018 at 12:51, ivand said:

Funny thing is, the problem with the windows looks a lot less conspicuous on the RAF example than on the Dan Air one. Is this just because of the different fuselage bands?

Yes, the different cheat lines on the models accentuate the possible descrepancies in the passenger cabin glazing.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Yes, that's the main problem from MACH 2.

My Vickers Viscount had the sam wonky windows. Fortunately, 26 decals offer a sheet to cover the windows.

Hope I found one for my Caravelle and the Convair I have the Luftwaffe - Version.

Vickers Viscount BOAC

modelldoc

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hannants have them, and  I acquired the RAF example in a mixture of hope and curiosity.

Following dremeling through the sprue gates on the major components in order to test fit the major components, I can confirm that the fuselage windows are a bit irregular as previously reported, and will need to open up some of the holes and shim the transparencies to a consistent height.  One of the engine exhausts is solid as previously reported.

The tailplanes have matching thickness, which is good.

The intakes looked suspiciously deep, and I brought out an Airfix Nimrod for comparison.  The shape of the engine fairings under the wing unfortunately seem to me to match exactly, although the Mach 2 kit has more engraved surface detail.  The Nimrod of course had much deeper engine bays than the Comet, in order to accommodate the Spey engines, so some major surgery will be required to flatten them out.  The wings also have a marked change of dihedral at mid-span which seems to be a bit exaggerated.  Can anyone else confirm this?

Will check references in the archive tomorrow.

I suppose the alternative would be a "What-if" Comet 4D with Speys....

Howard Mason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Wake up, Neo! ..🤣

So what do we have after a year (!) ..

I still don’t have a model, there are no BOAC decals.

Not a single assembled model ..

And soon the VC-10 ..

Edited by GROWLER