1/72 - de Havilland DH.106 Comet 4C by Mach 2 - released - Whirlybird Models exhaust pipes

Homebee

14 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

If anyone is doing an early Comet, can I have your spare bit of fuselage please? I want to do a BEA 4B! 😘

Assuming Mach 2 have moulded the fuselage to the correct length, you don't need to anything with it. It is the wings that will need major surgery to convert it into a 4B.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

There were a few issues I saw, from the ridiculously small engine exhausts, to the engine faces being too close to the intake, the shape of the wing/engine fairing and others. I do love the Comet and if I wasn't being too picky I could build it, but those issues mentioned just jar in my mind and would be always visible to me.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks good enough to tempt me, even though it isn't the much more elegant and shelf-space friendly Comet 2...

Now if only I had a job and some spare money...

Edited by Vulcanicity

On 11/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It was DH who conducted the trials with Comet 2, to South America not BOAC.  Therefore there is no BOAC livery for Comet 2. Interestingly the Eastern seaboard of Canada was right at the limit of the Comet 4Cs range dependant on prevailing weather conditions, so the adverstised non-stop transatlanic flights to New York by Comet, more often than not had to refuel in Gander.

Thommo.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1507662

On 11/8/2018 at 8:27 PM, Graham Boak said:

Were these trials done in bare metal?  I doubt it.  The 2X had a civil scheme based on BOAC styling without the blue tail or company name:  I suggest that G-AMXA was similar and likely 'XB too.  It would suprise me if BOAC was prepared to miss on the publicity of the long flights and the display at Farnborough, but you can guarantee that DH would make their point.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:23 AM, AMB said:

...and the white outline to the fuselage roundel. Cockpit windows don't look quite straight either, but I'm sure that could be corrected.

A 'must have' for me, as I have flown on all five of the RAF's Comet C.4s.

Never mind the cockpit windows, look at the passenger windows down the side. Unless that cheatline on the Dan-Air version is wonky, they are all over the place. I wasn't planning to use Mach 2's clear side windows anyway (Kristal Kleer instead) but straightening out the line of windows will take some doing. Still won't prevent me from getting an injection molded Comet though...

Edited by Kevin Callahan

I suspect I shall be buying one also. And yes, I do have a few Mach 2 kits so I realise they're not the easiest to build, but I will find it hard (impossible?) to pass up an IM 1/72nd scale Comet.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Never mind the cockpit windows, look at the passenger windows down the side. Unless that cheatline on the Dan-Air version is wonky, they are all over the place. I wasn't planning to use Mach 2's clear side windows anyway (Kristal Kleer instead) but straightening out the line of windows will take some doing. Still won't prevent me from getting an injection molded Comet though...

Are the windows decals?

1 hour ago, ivand said:

Mind you, you could always fill in the holes and use decals for the windows instead. That would certainly be easier than reshaping them.

To be honest, that might be the best way to go if the windows are truly misaligned and it isn't just a trick of the camera or something. Not a big fan of decal windows, but a Mach 2 kit likely won't be in the front row of my display case anyway. 

Looking at the kit at Telford the cabin windows on both sides do suffer from some alignment issues, not really a problem for most modellers who were buying the kit as they seemed to be selling well.

Julien

I bought the RAF version and it looks very good for  a Mach 2 kit,...... although when examining it closely later I discovered that one of the crimped in jet pipes has a moulding flaw and is solid with the hole filled in at full depth with plastic,....... so I`m a bit stumped about what to do with it,..... might have to plank all four of them up?

Cheers

Tony

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

I bought the RAF version and it looks very good for  a Mach 2 kit,...... although when examining it closely later I discovered that one of the crimped in jet pipes has a moulding flaw and is solid with the hole filled in at full depth with plastic,....... so I`m a bit stumped about what to do with it,..... might have to plank all four of them up?

Cheers

Tony

Yeah, they used exhaust covers I'm sure

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Air-Graphics are supposed to be doing Resin update sets for the Comet, no idea what they will be as yet but the exhausts sound like they should be a contender

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Air-Graphics are supposed to be doing Resin update sets for the Comet, no idea what they will be as yet but the exhausts sound like they should be a contender

One has to be careful with AM accessories, as it won't take to many (particulary resin) to push the kit into the same price bracket as the Welsh 1/72 range of Comet kits.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

5 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Cheers Geoff,...... sure sounds like a plan to me!!!

Tony

Its nice to see Mach2 bringing out model kits that modellers are craving for, such as the Britannia and Argosy and now the Comet, and I take my hat off to Didier, but I looked at the Comet on his stand and not being an expert, but the wings looked wrong and as mentioned the windows were all over the place, all these surely could of been corrected before it was released

• Like 1

I was initially very excited by the news of an affordable 1/72 Comet (IMHO £55 is a very good price for such a subject) and I was ready to take a dive in the feared Mach 2 experience to have this model in my collection, but the comments regarding the windows alignment are colling my initial reaction. Guess I'll wait and see how other modellers solve the problem before committing myself