1/72 - de Havilland DH.106 Comet 4C by Mach 2 - released - Whirlybird Models exhaust pipes

Homebee

The first two Comet 2s were operated by BOAC for trials - so a civil scheme does exist.  If you are going to insist on common military/civil airframes, there aren't exactly a lot of candidates because of the differences between such variants.  Offhand the Viking/Valetta, and the 748 (which was not exactly a type that springs to mind as an RAF Transport).

No, I don't think it's a Comet, but I don't think that should be ruled out automatically. 

I'd buy a high-tail Military Herald...

Edited by Graham Boak

13 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The first two Comet 2s were operated by BOAC for trials - so a civil scheme does exist.

It was DH who conducted the trials with Comet 2, to South America not BOAC.  Therefore there is no BOAC livery for Comet 2. Interestingly the Eastern seaboard of Canada was right at the limit of the Comet 4Cs range dependant on prevailing weather conditions, so the adverstised non-stop transatlanic flights to New York by Comet, more often than not had to refuel in Gander.

Thommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Were these trials done in bare metal?  I doubt it.  The 2X had a civil scheme based on BOAC styling without the blue tail or company name:  I suggest that G-AMXA was similar and likely 'XB too.  It would suprise me if BOAC was prepared to miss on the publicity of the long flights and the display at Farnborough, but you can guarantee that DH would make their point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Comet 4Cs

BOAC only had the Comet 4 . Had a longer range than a 4C , lighter with same tankage . Although with a strong head wind they had to go into Gander for fuel which probably happened every time !

Edited by bzn20

12 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

BOAC styling without the blue tail

MXD Mk 2E (Avons) was leased to BOAC late 57 - early 58 . It was in the contemporary BOAC scheme white fin with 2 blue horizontal lines . MXK was the other 2E leased.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

The 2X had the shorter fuselage

The 2X was a Comet 1 ex BOAC G-ALYT converted to Avons and flew unpressurised as a development frame for those engines destined for the Comet 3.

3 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Comet 4 and 4C

Didn't .. My dad was a Comet 4 Flt Eng for BOAC..G-APDA to PDT only

Edited by bzn20

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I believe it was 2 development.

The T2s and 2Rs were converted/drawn from the production C2s the RAF had on rosta, when the C. 4Cs entered service.

The T2s were just early Cs used for training. The initial Rs were separate aircraft, one C was later converted to,replace an R lost in a fire so it was 13 separate airframes to the RAF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Comet 2 in full BOAC

That's a rare shot.. MXA never flew for BOAC . It was completed at the time of the Comet 1 grounding , production ceased .MXA converted to 2R delivered to the RAF 2/58 XK655

Thread drift happens.  Probably because the drift (whatever it is) is more interesting than the original.  If it wasn't more interesting it would either dry up or be swamped by postings that were.  Let those who have something more interesting to say, say it.

In this case, let's face it, there are only so many interesting suggestions for "an RAF Transport aircraft from Mach II."  After the first couple of goes around, it had to drift or die.

• Like 1

Its been quite interesting , the Comet1/2 and its oddities and convoluted developments as opposed to guessing kits . That only goes so far.

7 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Belfast winging its way (on a set of Britannia wings)

The Belfast has Britannia wings, right down to the servo tabbed controls and chamfered tips. although the engine attachment area isn't or are you saying  its a Belfast Fuse and get a Brit donor kit ? Or it's on your wish list (of one) ? I'd join you if it's easier than working on one .

10 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

or are you saying  its a Belfast Fuse and get a Brit donor kit ? Or it's on your wish list (of one) ? I'd join you if it's easier than working on one .

I have to admit that it's on my wishlist. 

I've not seen the Britannia kit in the flesh, but the main wings could be a starting point. If size was the problem for molding, the fuselage could be done in four sections. 

I've got the Magna kit in the shed, but being resin, it's a hefty beast. 

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

The Belfast has Britannia wings, right down to the servo tabbed controls and chamfered tips

The Belfast ultimately incorporated a new wing center section, which extended the span by 16' 6".

21 hours ago, Paul J said:

I'd be happy with a 1/144 Belfast thats not Vac form or resin.. I know the smaller scale is not a Mach scale but one day maybe...

I'm with you on that one.  I've no idea where I would keep a 1/72nd scale Belfast (or a Beverley and Argosy for that matter).