1/72 - de Havilland DH.106 Comet 4C by Mach 2 - released - Whirlybird Models exhaust pipes

Homebee

If one looks at Mach 2's more recent output they have produced kits that have had lots of options including both military and civilian: Jetstar, Convair 440, Britannia, Beech 200, Learjet and Argosy as examples.

If they follow through with this approach, the long finger of suspicion points at a Comet.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, general melchett said:

As do AIM, though admittedly they are Comet 4 variants. Must agree a C2 would be nice. Just have to wait and see...

...and 4Bs too.

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/CLS72-25.html

When pater was stationed out in Goose Bay between 1970 and 1973,  yours truly had many a trip across the pond on RAF Comets and Brits.

Thommo.

• Like 1

One quirk of Goose Bay despite having one of the longest runways in the World and one of the very few runways capable of accepting a space shuttle diversion landing.  A relatively small part of the runway was in British sovereign territory and the rest was the property of Uncle Sam. This division was marked on the runway and british aircrews took it as a badge of honour to take off in British territory, which meant some very interesting take offs, amplified as RAF transports seats faced backwards.

Thommo.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, general melchett said:
40 minutes ago, general melchett said:

As do AIM, though admittedly they are Comet 4 variants. Must agree a C2 would be nice. Just have to wait and see...

Must agree a C2 would be nice. Just have to wait and see...

I can't see it being a Comet C. 2 myself, only 8 built and all used by the RAF, more likely to be a Comet C. 4C if indeed it is a Comet. But, as you say lets wait and  see.

Thommo.

40 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I can't see it being a Comet C. 2 myself, only 8 built and all used by the RAF, more likely to be a Comet C. 4C if indeed it is a Comet. But, as you say lets wait and  see.

Thommo.

10 Plus the 3 C2Rs, and the pair of 2E research aircraft. I’d love one (it’s the most difficult Comet to make from existing kits) but I doubt it.

Edited by Dave Fleming

28 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

OK, but I still have 16 built not just 8.  That's 3 development, 2xT2s and 3x2Rs as well as the 8 standards.

I believe it was 2 development.

The T2s and 2Rs were converted/drawn from the production C2s the RAF had on rosta, when the C. 4Cs entered service.

The point is, from a model manufactures perspective the options are limited, as is the audience.

Thommo.

45 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

BAe146

We had a trial BAe146 at Brize 82ish-84 in the overall White with Dk Blue straight cheatline. We had to do the occasional Role Change on them . Can't remember the Serial No …. Found it ! ZD696

Edit just found my notes ..we had 2 for evaluation 240 OCU designated CC1 ,the other was ZD695

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

We had a trial BAe146 at Brize 82ish-84 in the overall White with Dk Blue straight cheatline. We had to do the occasional Role Change on them . Can't remember the Serial No …. Found it ! ZD696

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6406910

Now stored.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

OK to dig a bit further I consulted Putnam's DH Aircraft by A J Jackson.  He has 18 airframes built of which 3 never flew, and is not counting the 2X which I had in my original quote.  The T2s were built first and only later converted to C2s.  This is in the text.  It's a slightly different story in the production list at the end of the section which has 20 construction numbers with 7 not finished  (again, discounting the 2X.)  That's still 13, either way.

Looking for a more modern source I was surprised to find nothing in Chris Gibson's On Atlas's Shoulders, but Colin Ovens' Airlift Force has 10xC2s and an additional 3 on signals duties.  That matches the earlier source.

Not too many aircraft, true, but counting the 2Rs that's a long service life and a variety of schemes.  I think it is possible to overestimate the value of mere numbers built in terms of likely kit sales, though I grant you that the Comet 2 is unlikely to prove as attractive as the SR53 or MB5.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

2X

I think we had a 2X at Halton when I was there , down  the Airfield 70-72

Edit..... a Comet 2R

Edited by bzn20

16 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

OK to dig a bit further I consulted Putnam's DH Aircraft by A J Jackson.  He has 18 airframes built of which 3 never flew, and is not counting the 2X which I had in my original quote.  The T2s were built first and only later converted to C2s.  This is in the text.  It's a slightly different story in the production list at the end of the section which has 20 construction numbers with 7 not finished  (again, discounting the 2X.)

Looking for a more modern source I was surprised to find nothing in Chris Gibson's On Atlas's Shoulders, but Colin Ovens' Airlift Force has 10xC2s and an additional 3 on signals duties.

Not too many aircraft, true, but counting the 2Rs that's a long service life and a variety of schemes.  I think it is possible to overestimate the value of mere numbers built in terms of likely kit sales, though I grant you that the Comet 2 is unlikely to prove as attractive as the SR53 or MB5.

The point is Mach 2 given their current track record are producing kits of machines that have miltary and civil cross over.  DH's Comet 2s eight machines only served with the RAF, I really can't see the commercial appea myself, the Comet 4C maybe meets that brief?

Thommo.