1/48 - North American F-82E/F/G/H Twin Mustang by Modelsvit - F-82F/G & E/H released

Homebee

5 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

@Ad-4N Not a bomb - that was the radar pod, carried on the inter-fuselage strut/wing.

I thought I'd done well to get a cheap Modelcraft kit literally a month before this kit was announced, should make an interesting dual build....

There is a 72nd decal sheet with a black painted pod-less F-82. Pity it's not on the 48th sheet but could the aircraft fly w/out the pod? Please.

What amazes me is that it's a major USAF fighter with a notable combat career, a Mustang no less, yet has not been kitted in 1/48 except for a very obscure kit that no one can find in a store.  Wondering what other Korean types have been ignored?  Yak-9U?  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

What amazes me is that it's a major USAF fighter with a notable combat career, a Mustang no less, yet has not been kitted in 1/48 except for a very obscure kit that no one can find in a store.  Wondering what other Korean types have been ignored?  Yak-9U?  

The Korean War is poorly served in general. The Douglas F3D Skyknight has only one meaningful (and limited run) kit in 1/48. There's no modern/decent tooling of the F9F Panther. The F2H Banshee needs to be re-kitted after the KH boo-boo (and no one's ever done the -3/4 other than Collectaire). There's no F-86A/E beyond an ancient ESCI kit, and no accurate kit of the F-80 since the 1970s. Still plenty of work to be done!

Jon

• Like 3

I was talking to an author about the lack of Korean War books and he said the emphasis is always on WW2.  So it is with modeling, especially in the large scale four engine. Still no PB4Y-2 in 1/48;  the 1/48 B-29 by Mongram is ancient. No RB-45C in 1/48 except for rare resin. No Yak-17UTI trainer or the ubiquitous Sea Otter in 1/48;  the C-46 has yet to be kitted in 1/48; plus no variants of the TBM Avenger such as the TBM-3R or the TBM-3S ambulance. I still say that in the last few years we've seen some great Korean War kits in 1/48 including: Airfix Meteor;  A&V Yak-11; Ark La-9/11;  and the beautiful ICM PO-2.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I thought I'd done well to get a cheap Modelcraft kit literally a month before this kit was announced, should make an interesting dual build....

There is a 72nd decal sheet with a black painted pod-less F-82. Pity it's not on the 48th sheet but could the aircraft fly w/out the pod? Please.

spacer.png

This is the F-82B "Betty-Jo" in the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Ohio. No Radar pod as you can see. However, I have no idea if that means F-82G could fly without the radar pod, all I know is that this one is displayed without one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I think I've read in the past that the pod on the F-82C, D, F, G& H was detachable, but can't swear to it without finding the info again.

There was/is an F-82E preserved in black.  F-82B & E being non radar equipped of course.

Interestingly the same  F-82F (46-473) is on this Modelsvit box illustration, and in the Platz 144th kit, depicted with radar pod fitted.

BTW, there's an excellent radar pod with radar detail on Shapeways, http://shpws.me/SgK9

Really can't wait to build this kit, so many great schemes with individual art, and WHIFFs!

An E with the gun pod and rocket armament would be a great addition aswel.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I think I've read in the past that the pod on the F-82C, D, F, G& H was detachable, but can't swear to it without finding the info again.

There was/is an F-82E preserved in black.  F-82B & E being non radar equipped of course.

Interestingly the same  F-82F (46-473) is on this Modelsvit box illustration, and in the Platz 144th kit, depicted with radar pod fitted.

BTW, there's an excellent radar pod with radar detail on Shapeways, http://shpws.me/SgK9

Really can't wait to build this kit, so many great schemes with individual art, and WHIFFs!

An E with the gun pod and rocket armament would be a great addition aswel.

The Radar pod was indeed detachable and there's a mention (I think in Wikipedia) how one became detached after some 'violent' manouvers.

Incidentally the variant with the pod (G?) had a slightly enlarged fin.  Difficult to explain just where this difference is - height, width or whatever.  However this is why the pictures of the sprues show two different types of apparently similar fuselage halves!  Full marks for recognising and tooling this when the difference is scarcely noticeable.  Unless I've missed it, 'Detail and Scale' make no mention of this difference.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I have seen a few photos of Alaskan Air Command F-82F/G without the pod, this being one such:

F-82G Twin Mustang 46-0386

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the sprue pics., I'm pretty sure that the part in the bottom left-hand corner of the frame with the cockpit interior components is an underwing fairing for an 'unpodded' aircraft. It's the same size/shape as the part on one of the other sprues that carries the 'pod parts' and also looks to have the ports for ejecting spent cartridges moulded into it. (Hope I've explained that clearly.....)😀

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I have seen a few photos of Alaskan Air Command F-82F/G without the pod, this being one such:

F-82G Twin Mustang 46-0386

The paintjob on the drop tanks is fantastic! That would make a neat AM sheet for this kit.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, Homebee said:

10 hours ago, Denford said:

The Radar pod was indeed detachable and there's a mention (I think in Wikipedia) how one became detached after some 'violent' manouvers.

Incidentally the variant with the pod (G?) had a slightly enlarged fin.  Difficult to explain just where this difference is - height, width or whatever.  However this is why the pictures of the sprues show two different types of apparently similar fuselage halves!  Full marks for recognising and tooling this when the difference is scarcely noticeable.  Unless I've missed it, 'Detail and Scale' make no mention of this difference.

Looking very closely at the top image the difference is at the wing root especially the front. A is the other half for B to give two mirrored fuselages. I've looked for confirmation of the fin difference and found nothing. However I believe the fin fillet may have changed from earlier versions.

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

If you look at the sprue pics., I'm pretty sure that the part in the bottom left-hand corner of the frame with the cockpit interior components is an underwing fairing for an 'unpodded' aircraft. It's the same size/shape as the part on one of the other sprues that carries the 'pod parts' and also looks to have the ports for ejecting spent cartridges moulded into it. (Hope I've explained that clearly.....)😀

Good spot Sir! Possibly an 'E' version to follow?

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Good spot to you too Sir! I can think of a use for that pod Thank You for the link.

8 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Incidentally the variant with the pod (G?) had a slightly enlarged fin.  Difficult to explain just where this difference is - height, width or whatever.  However this is why the pictures of the sprues show two different types of apparently similar fuselage halves! 

The difference is that one fuselage has larger fillets at the leading edge of the vertical stabilizers than the other. I looked carefully for the difference and it stood out to me. I didn't see a difference in height or overall stabilizer shape so if someone sees that as well, please advise the rest of us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

The difference is that one fuselage has larger fillets at the leading edge of the vertical stabilizers than the other. I looked carefully for the difference and it stood out to me. I didn't see a difference in height or overall stabilizer shape so if someone sees that as well, please advise the rest of us. 

I didn't explain myself very well. I think the fin fillets are different sizes because one is the full size while the other is an insert to enable a thin leading edge. Even looking at the original images enlarged it is very hard to be sure a shot of the other side of the A & B mouldings would be useful.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American F-82E/F/G Twin Mustang by Modelsvit - 3D renders+schemes+box art+sprues - release December 2021

So do you know when this model will be available? when they do the B variant it will require new fuselage halfs and revised propellers as the engines were Rolls Royce engines. The box art shows handed propellers, the Alison engine fitted to the G variant was the same for port and starboard, the rolls royce engines were handed used in the B and C.

Edited by Mick_Gannon
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...