1 72 scale scratchbuilt 21 cm railgun

bazer

My latest 1 72 scale scratch build railgun is a whopper, it was designed to be a long range super gun there was only two built the one I am building is the first the 21cm K 12 v.  the  gun was 135 ft long over buffers and the barrel was 109 ft long and the gun had to be jacked up by 3 ft for each firing.it was issued to the army in mar 1939 ,it was hardly a practical design and was sent down to the French coast late in 1940 and was used for cross channel bombardment, its fate was unknown.

In 1 72 scale the model is 25 in long and barrel 18 in
I spent six weeks  drawing scale plans ( using some taty and faded original plans off internet but lucky to find them as the body is such a unusual shape as can be seen in pics without them I would not have been able to build it correctly )  and building using modified bogies from two Leopold kits and a few other bits and bobs,the rest including gun barrel was scratch built ,then two weeks to paint and finish dio . I decided to build model jacked up ready for firing as it looks more impressive.

The first six pics are of the build thought you might like to see.

AjaxHandlerRSZ0ES5V.png8new railgun 2 019AjaxHandler.png5AjaxHandler.png2AjaxHandler.png3new railgun 2 027AjaxHandler.png1railgun new pics 1 (1)railgun new pics 1 (5)railgun new pics 1 (4)railgun new pics 1 (3)railgun new pics 1 (8)railgun new pics 1 (11)railgun new pics 1 (9)railgun new pics 1 (10)railgun new pics 1 (14)railgun new pics 1 (12)railgun new pics 1 (13)railgun new pics 1 (16)

• Like 25

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just incredible. The attention to detail is fantastic, everything just looks right! Beautiful work.

• Like 1