1/48 - North American P-51H Mustang by Modelsvit - released

Homebee

I just received my 3 kits!

Did not have enough time to check against drawings and draw red and green lines, but:

* It has exactly the same basic dimensions with CA example.

* The engraved surface details are very convincing. Just awesome!

* The detail is the best it can get for a short run model and definitely much better that what can be done in plastic.

* The details in the cockpit, the tail and the main wheel wells are fantastic, but had no time to see if they are also accurate.

* The transparent parts are crystal clear.

* The instruction manual is a little complicated with too much detail packed in an A4 leaflet. Not bad really.

* Color references is not in Humbrol, Gunze or Tamiya. Hmmmm...

* The masks and PE complete what seems to be an amazing new Mustang.

Soon my dear, soon!

Edited by LUCIANO007
  • Thanks 1

It differs from the CA model, held them together yesterday. The tail of the CA-kit is too shallow (easy correction). Clear parts of the MS-kit (there are two of them) should work on the CA.

Regards

Andreas Beck

9 hours ago, areva said:

Is this considered a short-run kit?

areva

It sure looks like, with thick parts and part frame connectors, but of the best possible quality, which means that in details may be even better than plastic.

Edited by LUCIANO007

9 hours ago, ABeck said:

It differs from the CA model, held them together yesterday. The tail of the CA-kit is too shallow (easy correction). Clear parts of the MS-kit (there are two of them) should work on the CA.

Regards

Andreas Beck

Yep, the CA tail is slightly different, I remember from their instructions manual that there is some alternative for the tail height... Short or tall version I think.

For the hood, I wouldn't think so. The windshield comes in both with part of the fuselage. Would require exactly the same panels and cross section to be spot on.

The older CA can still be built to a really good result, requiring some extra work and the substitution of some of the smaller, less accurate parts. Would I do it with the Modelsvit kit in hand? I don't think so!

Edited by LUCIANO007

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51H Mustang by Modelsvit - released - new boxing in 2023

New boxing scheduled in 2023 - ref. 4821 - North American P-51H Mustang - USAF edition

Source: https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/posts/pfbid0377Leq1FD2n5U8QPkbHmAxXoyH8niDRyzXjfdWJUiC8ot7xS6Unj2Ev6e8zKpxDshl

Dear friends,

Currently, preparing a new release of our 1/48 P-51H "Mustang" with 4 new liveries (check out bellow).

Shall appreciate your comments regarding the accuracy of these liveries.

Please, pay special attention on the 2nd scheme....

Thank you in advance for your support!!

319331037-3410589165876777-6149626708932

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

V interesting to see these new options. If it's any help, I've been studying the Alaska schemes rather more than is good for me in recent months, and I've managed to discern the following. On the first scheme, the aircraft should have yellow stripes on wing and tailplane, probably about 20 inches wide (i.e. narrower than the broad stripes on the third scheme), and positioned at the point where the guns are mounted in the wings. 64th FS (code AA), 65th (AB) and 66th (AC) should have their respective squadron badges painted underneath the windscreen on the right hand side only, like this: 

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/482659285041333816/

At some point the band on the fin/rudder with the individual aircraft letter was yellow for all three squadrons, but later it seems they might have made them different colours for individual squadrons (can't be sure of this). The very good David McLaren book on the P-51H has some decent photos of 44-64698 flying in Squadron/Group formation, and there are a few other pics of Alaska Hs online. Unfortunately the links to the P-51H photos on this website have broken and (I didn't download them when the link was intact), so the detail isn't clear, but it's still a decent guide: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71878

NB for an additional interesting scheme the McLaren book (pg 57) has a tasty photo of a 64th FS aircraft (44-64430, AA-K) with the later Alaska paint scheme of NMF with Insignia Red tail and outer wing panels, like the F-82s. The fin/rudder has a horizontal band for the code letter but I can't decide what colour it is.

What's interesting about the H is that they only made 555 of them and they were recycled through various USAF/ANG units in their lives, so you can find pics of the same airframe in a range of different schemes.

Justin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51H Mustang by Modelsvit - released - new boxing in March 2023

Expected in late March 2023 - ref. 4821 - North American P-51H Mustang - USAF edition

Sources: 

https://www.modelsvit-eshop.com/c/aviation-1/p-51h-mustang-usaf-edition-200

https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/posts/pfbid0Q7YUjb7a5SyXnZuC5VX7xFL99dAeb9kuVLjnp8ViTAPvHcFa5cfPT3Ls2jyYN29Ul

Happy to inform you that in the end of March, we are up to release a new box of successful 1/48 P-51H Mustang under art #4821.

The set comes with PE sheet, Rubber tyres, Painting masks and big decals (A5 format) with four USAF liveries.

Box art

329627257-732259248502064-72785908633186

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, LUCIANO007 said:

It sure looks like, with thick parts and part frame connectors, but of the best possible quality, which means that in details may be even better than plastic.

" ...better than plastic". So, it's not styrene plastic but resin or something else? Confused.

Tony

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

I wonder why they added rubber tires?

I don't know why kit manufacturers do this. Like moveable swing wings, it's one of the last remnants  from the days when kits were toys. So long as there's aftermarket or plastic alternatives in the kit, it's not so much of a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51H Mustang by Modelsvit - released