G-BEDF aka Sally B

Mjwomack

I'm regretting this already! But I was in search of a mojo restorer (maybe a B-17 what if), and seeing as 1:72nd is well catered for, and not being convinced that 1:48 is going to restore my mojo I thought, why not go the other way? So, I've got a minicraft 1:144 B-17G and some decals that apparently make it for Sally B... what could be more fun, a little bit off the beaten track and with some personal history from my South Cambs villages thrown in?

Sally B it'll be

http://www.sallyb.org.uk/index.htm

Bit of an imposter as she never saw war service, but there were some bizarre mods in her life

http://www.sallyb.org.uk/history.htm

Photos to follow, but the mini craft kit has a decidedly 'toy' feel to it- maybe it'll actually match my skill level. And for all the discussion of interior paints, the mini craft advice is straight from the Rolling Stones- Pain it black (all of it!!)

And the decals are rudimentary at best, and omit the crucial feature of Sally B, the yellow checkerboard on #3 engine

Photos and progress coming over the weekend with a tailwind, but I'm in!

• Like 2

I may be just a little biased, but I would certainly throw a vote in to depict her when she wore the 447th BG markings on her tail in the mid-80s

(the following are not my photos -- found at robineldridge.co.uk via Google search )

B17G-Sally-B-B17-Preservation-52.jpg

-

B17G-Sally-B-B17-Preservation-14-1024x73

-

B17G-Sally-B-B17-Preservation-7.jpg

-----

And two others found via Google search

Boeing_B17_Flying_Fortress_-_flyby_1985.

-

1920px-Boeing_B17_Flying_Fortress_1985.j

• Like 3

@Ol' Scrapiron I think I can spot a trend here! I remember this scheme, in the Boy Scouts we got a gig for a Duxford airshow as car park attendents and selling programmes and this is the livery she was in back then. About the same time the chap who had a Saturday job in the local model shop (they were sooo common back then) was a volunteer on the ground crew and fashioned the machine guns from broom-sticks. (He also got thrown out of a sweet job for making an impression of a Phantom taking off, but that's for another build maybe)

But I'm going with the current Sally b/ Memphis Belle scheme as I enjoy the curiosity of Memphis Belle with a chin turret!

Edited by Mjwomack
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And now some pictures

IMG-20181108-192902.jpg 

The box- this may yet be the best part and even that's got a dent in it!

IMG-20181108-193042.jpg 

The parts, instruction sheet- though I'm not encouraged by the built example at the top of them.

IMG-20181108-193242.jpg 

Replacement decals - such as they are (grumble grumble) and the rest of the instructions with such advice as BLACK inside and that all the gun barrels should be painted gun metal- that's a big help; I was wondering.

Right, and this is going to restore my mojo so in we go

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

And I'm still here!  A little progress has been made. Possibly too long has been spent researching and pondering,but my mojo is stirring

Here's a before and after of the fuselage, cheek gun positions have been removed and the waist position opened up

IMG-20181124-134551.jpg

Hoping progress will speed up,especially with a few days off

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of the more intriguing features of the Minicraft kit is the rarely modelled, let alone existed, clear chin turret...

IMG-20190104-202826-hdr.jpg

Obviously, being rarely seen it is hard to see in this picture, but nothing that a coat of paint won't take care of. An attempt at the waist gun position, the edges will get tidied up with clearsil when the other glazing gets filled in.

Scribed in the crew hatch- this is a very important and personal detail because it was how w got my dad inside when he was in the later stages of his life; we weren't sure he was agile enough, but determination overcomes a lot of things and we got him in, sat on the flight deck (even though he was a 73sqn Spitfire man) and out again.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh of relief for the extension, I should finish for this weekend. Scraping away on the mistakingly pained waist positions. Also reworking the checkerboard on no 3 engine as my first attempt was too toy-like to even take a pic of.

Pics soon when there's something less embarrassing to show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...