1/12 Austin A35 van 'Watch The Birdie'

Hi everyone

Each year I like to do a build for Nick Allen's IPMS 'Beyond The Box' SIG. The idea behind the SIG is to take a standard kit and turn it into something a bit different. We usually work to a theme - this year's was A Grand Day Out. Quite often we will use one of the Airfix 'Aardman' kits - either Wallace & Gromit or Shaun The Sheep, although they are becoming harder to get hold of. 

Anyway, for my build I decided to model the A35 as a photographer's van trading under the name of 'Watch The Birdie'.

SD5

SD1

Chromework on the radiator done using Molotow Chrome. It gives a very nice shine but it's softer than Alclad Chrome.

SD4

I used some 3D printed parts from Shapeways to replace the windscreen wipers and add the A35 badge. The replacement door handles were also 3D printed.

SD3

Finally, the full scenario. Wallace is posing for photographs with his new bride, Gwendoline, and two wedding guests. The shot is ruined by Timmy the sheep wandering in and distracting the bride. She's looking at the viewer as if to say "What's going on?!" Gwendoline is totally scratch built - the only commercial item I used was a resin copy of Wallace's head. I also scratch built the bellows camera. 

SD7

I will bring the model to the Nationals at Telford. It will be on the Beyond The Box stand - just in front of the Airfix stand.

Cheers

Richard C

• Like 30

1 hour ago, spruecutter said:

Chromework on the radiator done using Molotow Chrome

Good job , these A35 vans look ace . Did you use the Molotow pen or a refill and spray it ? Those hub caps are brilliant . Well done .

25 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Good job , these A35 vans look ace . Did you use the Molotow pen or a refill and spray it ? Those hub caps are brilliant . Well done .

I used the Molotow refill and sprayed it at 10-15 PSI over a Alclad gloss black base. I actually put too many layers on the door handles and the lovely finish ending up crinkling when I was holding he part. I stripped everything back and re-did the handles with Alclad Chrome. I still think that Molotow has the edge in terms of representing chrome. Next time I just need to remember when to stop!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spruecutter said:

10-15 PSI

Quite low pressure then . Does it need thinning ? I have a pen but no refill so no idea what the fluid is like .

54 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Quite low pressure then . Does it need thinning ? I have a pen but no refill so no idea what the fluid is like .

It's pretty thin from the refill so I didn't bother to thin it and it sprayed nicely. I got the refill at Telford last year.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looks great, and that blue paint has ended up looking lovely - really deep appearance to it. That's the sort of finish I'd like to end up with, but haven't been able to achieve yet.

I followed the tips in a great BM post from cmatthewbacon called Matt's tips for painting model cars - hopefully his post is still on Britmodeller? He uses 2 approaches - either Tamiya rattle cans or Zero Paints with a clear cost. The nice thing about the TS paint from Tamiya is that it dries quickly and pulls tight as it dries. I just did 3 light coats - the TS paint can run if you put too much on in one go. I always start spraying off the model and keep the can moving. Matt also recommends buying a big plastic box - as soon as you have finished spraying you put the model inside. That way you cut down the risk of a stray bit of crud finding its way onto the paint. 

9 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Having seen the time and effort that went into this, the end result is superb Richard. Sue wants to know where the pigs got their hats!

andy

Ha ha! It's a very exclusive pair of designers - Milliputte & Grabbana. Sue would probably be less impressed to know the lady pig's hat started off as the lid from a can of sweetcorn with a beer bottle cap stuck on top all blended in with Milliput. The male pig's hat is 100% Milliput. Somehow I can't see Sue putting in an order for her next do...😁

On 07/11/2018 at 22:11, spruecutter said:

I followed the tips in a great BM post from cmatthewbacon called Matt's tips for painting model cars - hopefully his post is still on Britmodeller? He uses 2 approaches - either Tamiya rattle cans or Zero Paints with a clear cost. The nice thing about the TS paint from Tamiya is that it dries quickly and pulls tight as it dries. I just did 3 light coats - the TS paint can run if you put too much on in one go. I always start spraying off the model and keep the can moving. Matt also recommends buying a big plastic box - as soon as you have finished spraying you put the model inside. That way you cut down the risk of a stray bit of crud finding its way onto the paint. 

Thank you, I have had a look in there and have taken a number of the tips on board. Unfortunately, I must admit that while I know what to do in theory, in practice sometimes things don't work out quite as planned and I end up spending far too long with the micromesh... or in some cases going back at it with the spray. The good news is that I can see the improvement with each model (mostly!) so I'll just keep aiming to catch up with so many of you on that high ground of deep shiny paint :)

On 11/8/2018 at 5:25 PM, spruecutter said:

Ha ha! It's a very exclusive pair of designers - Milliputte & Grabbana. Sue would probably be less impressed to know the lady pig's hat started off as the lid from a can of sweetcorn with a beer bottle cap stuck on top all blended in with Milliput. The male pig's hat is 100% Milliput. Somehow I can't see Sue putting in an order for her next do...😁

sheer genius! and saved me a fortune

Andy