++++ Sherman Crab - Finished ++++

I am hoping to get this finished. I originally started it for the M3/4 GB but didn't get all that far. I started it again and left it aside but this is a chance to get it done. 

resized_f241731e-fa23-4f87-899b-b19c00fd

I bought it some 10/12 years ago on a visit to the Tank Museum at  Bovington and its lain on a pile for a while. The Sherman is the Airfix original from about 1960. I'll check Scalemates later. And the flail a much more recent addition. For its age the mouldings are not that bad. It all went together pretty quickly and easily. There were some mould depressions on the inner hull sides behind the transmission that needed filled and the front end is in the need of a small amount of filler. The turret fits together fine and although not up to modern standards does look like a Sherman. I have made a few over the years, including one from a plastic bag in the early 60's but the last one would have been about 30 years ago at least. 

Here's where I am to start with

resized_c9a9bf77-38d2-4212-8a8d-7b3fecfa

and the sprues and instructions for the flail. 

resized_e48d535c-f1b7-4e4e-8aeb-75199958

Edited by 825
Photos added
  • Like 5

Built this one for the 2014 D-Day 70th anniversary GB - I was badgered a little bit about the flail looking a bit like a hair roller, so would suggest that you have a look at using a fine chain for the flails.

IanJ

On 11/7/2018 at 8:54 PM, Bonhoff said:

Built this one for the 2014 D-Day 70th anniversary GB - I was badgered a little bit about the flail looking a bit like a hair roller, so would suggest that you have a look at using a fine chain for the flails.

IanJ

There's many on here can only dream about still having enough hair to use a roller !

Look forward to seeing this one completed

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/7/2018 at 8:54 PM, Bonhoff said:

IanJ

I was thinking about chains but although more accurate, I'm erring on the side of it's probably too much bother. And I've already made the flails up. 

The flails and associated bits assembled. A little bit of filler needed. The front of the tank needed some as well. The first layer has been sanded down and a second layer added. Pictures later. 

resized_7dce29e9-a394-401f-80bd-52028322

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

There's many on here can only dream about still having enough hair to use a roller !

Look forward to seeing this one completed

cheers Pat

I thought it looks more like a ridiculous comb. Luckily I still have some hair. 

• Like 3

I had a 'bash' at this in the recent vintage Airfix GB - though I put the flail to one side and just concentrated on the tank itself.  I'll follow along to see what it 'should' look like in all it's glory.

Flail assembly attached. Was a genuine three hands job, and some of the chains got bent. But nothing some Tamiya Extra Thin won't fix. Then ready for some paint. 

resized_7ecf6580-8d58-4a86-8a1e-4b6db9e9

• Like 4

A couple of coats of paint on. 

resized_bfe958ef-7971-405b-ac55-fc4e79b3

Probably could do with a bit of weathering once the transfers are on. There's also a couple of chains to re-affix. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, SleeperService said:

I'd think a LOT of weathering especially at the front. They got covered in earth and the rest very quickly.

That's the plan, but first need to ensure all the chains are back on. Here we are at the end of today. Transfers on and some running repairs done. A little to finish off and then out with the washes and dry brushing. 

resized_a079b305-ee5c-4f22-908a-2d272f21

The silvering isn't as bad in real life but I think a couple of light coats of varnish may be needed. 

resized_d10c42d2-9cc9-41a6-9785-df2005f8

• Like 5

Stuttering along. Tracks on, after a fashion. They are old school Airfix and should be joined by using a heated screwdriver or similar. However with the flail mechanism on at the front the tracks can't be fitted over the transmission. And obviously it's not wise to apply a heated blade so close to the model. I tried using Gator Grip but it wouldn't work. I'll have a rethink. 

resized_e187d755-7105-451c-865d-9b989b31

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A wash with Citadel Neulin Oil and a few dry brushes with rust and Gunmetal on the flails and  lighter green on the tank. Followed by some earth on the front to give some splatter. The tracks are now fixed in place but there's an obvious gap. I'll cover this up with a rolled tarpaulins or camouflage net. 

resized_02bdc861-8298-454b-aa40-58fa8734

resized_3de19e33-d77d-405b-b96c-354ac25c

its almost there but flails keep falling off. Another final push this week should see it done. 

• Like 3

Pretty much done. To get the flails to stay on I drilled a short hole and inserted the flail into that. And that seems to have done the trick. I've also dry brushed a lot of desert sand on to give the impression of dust and mud on the front. The dark earth didn't show up much on the green, but the lighter colour has. 

resized_0c176c05-fe50-4944-add7-3f94d7cf

• Like 1