P-51 B 'Salem Representative'

I'm a bit on a Mustang spree at the moment, so here are some images of another recently finished Academy build in 1:72; 'Salem Representative' flown by Flying Officer Ralph "Kidd" Hofer. I used an Eduard Zoom set for the cockpit, while the decals came from Kitsworld. I dropped the flaps on this one as well, as it adds a lot of character to the model IMHO. The rest was build pretty much as per the instructions.

Next up will be a P-51 'Red Tail', inspired by the film on the Tuskegee Airmen.

I hope you like it!

Peter

540.jpg

540.jpg

540.jpg

540.jpg

• Like 26

Thanks for your kind comments.

I started this build as I wanted a P-51 with a Malcolm hood without invasion stripes in my collection and then stumbled on the Kitsworld set.

Reading up a bit about ‘Salem Representative’, I found out that Ralph ‘Kidd" Hofer was quite a character and ran into trouble with his commanding officer on several occasions. He initially joined the Royal Canadian Air Force before transferring  to the 4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, in September 1943. He scored his first two victories in P-47s but his most famous mount is P-51B 42-106924 QP—L, named  ‘Salem Representative’.

Hofer flew several shuttle missions from the UK to Russia to Italy and back to the UK. While flying P-51B QP-X, he apparently received several hits from a Hungarian Bf 109 over Budapest, on July 2, 1944. While trying to guide his crippled plane back to Italy, he was fatally hit when trying to make an emergency landing on a Luftwaffe airfield near Mostar, in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Hofer is now buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.

Peter

Edited by Pedro1
Correct small typos