French EMB-312 Tucano

Hi all.

The EMB-312 Tucano is simple in design and the plastic by Hobbyboss reflects this. However, I've chosen some enhancements by way of  swapping out the woefully out of register kit decals for a set by Caracal, a pair of Pavla M.B. Mk.8LC resin seats and some Quickboost resin exhausts. So far the build has been vice-less. This one has certainly been a palate cleanser and promises to be for the remainder of the build.

If it was correctly boxed with the T.1 option as per the supplied decals I'd loved to have done an RAF gloss black version but alas, Hobbyboss has dropped the ball big time when providing decals for essentially a superfluous RAF machine. A quick inspection reveals some major differences including the canopy frame, instrument panel, nose shape, prop and exhaust locations. So this one will be a French bird as per the pic below.

I'm really enjoying this build.

Hope you like it. 

Mick 👍

I like the faded paint on the fuselage band behind the canopy and what appears to be a fresh coat of paint on the red glare panel and chin of the air intake.

(Courtesy of jetphotos.net)

39589-1247251125.jpg

Nice kit box art.

brazilian-emb312-tucano-81763-1-orig.jpg

These images from a few nights ago and the all of the empennage has been attached.

45294710-1094691300681324-48624750343560

45403648-1094691397347981-10131839275877

45447421-1094691360681318-24552846825860

45514901-1094691320681322-69898451615303

Edited by Mick Drover
Main text update
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Very nice. I like the framework around the top edge of the cockpit. Have Hobbyboss any plans to release a Shorts Tucano?

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

I agree with you regarding the cockpit edge framing. They're separate pieces to install and the detail is more than appropriate. It's one thing I note in aircraft that have hinging canopies, many don't supply any sort of detail and if you want to add it it's usually via the route of photo etch.

I don't expect to see a T.1 from HB. If they had perhaps split the kit just forward of the front canopy frame they could have perhaps allowed for the different nose for the T.1. I don't what the shape difference are rear of this point so they could have perhaps got away with providing a common rear fuselage piece. They'd also have to supply a canopy with the middle brace. Oddly there are four blades provide so they got that part right, though no sign of a four bladed spinner.

The Alley Cat resin kit is the route you'd want to take if you want a 1/48th scale version. They have been a few versions of this including the gloss black version and the BoB scheme

Mick

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

promising start, of a nice project!

Thanks Draken. I spent another two hours on it last night and the main fuselage assembly is complete. Next will be painting and installing the seats.

Edited by Mick Drover

Another productive week on the modelling front.

There's only a few items to complete on the Tucano before it heads to the paint shop. I need paint up the seats before installing the canopy. I'm going to go with the closed canopy as I like the lines of the Tucano with it closed. I've opted for the drop tanks too. Though I haven't been able to find any French aircraft with them, I'll add them anyway as I think they look good with tanks.

The fillets forward of the fin and horizontals stabs are etc items which I've CA'd into place. Some Mr Surfacer along the joint presents a neat join and closes the small groove that the etch sits in.

LRM-EXPORT-524151194937861-20181109-2056

I've loaded the nose with small fishing sinkers held in place with blue tack. I think I'm okay with the weight but if I need to add more I can hide a small amount in the nose wheel well and under the resin seat. I think I'm okay as I've tested it with the gear legs dry fitted. I think looks good with the tanks.

IMG20181109204319.jpg

The kit would also have you pose the inner main gear doors open however in every photo I've found of the 312 at rest, they always have those doors closed. I've chopped off the mounting hinges and installed them closed.

LRM-EXPORT-524333054960969-20181109-2059

If I've read the instructions correctly the suggested installation for the wing pylons is incorrect. HB would have you reverse their locations. It's quite obvious when dry fitting as the longer inboard one if installed outboard would foul the travel of the aileron. Simple to swap as the mounting holes are the same distance apart. (The grey muck is the blue tack used to dry fit the tanks_

LRM-EXPORT-524204398250393-20181109-2057

It certainly looks good from some angles.

LRM-EXPORT-524411989902449-20181109-2100

Hopefully by the end of next weekend it will have paint on it.

Hope you like it.

Mick

• Like 7

Bit of an update on the Tucano.

I didn't get paint onto it as I'm still waiting for decals and partly because I had to paint up the seats and a small error with the fuselage.

I spent two hours painting up the fantastic Pavla resin Mk.8LC seats. They came up a treat with some careful painting.

IMG20181118135822.jpg

IMG20181118135813.jpg

IMG20181118135802.jpg

In my picture perusing I noticed that HB have included a vent that isn't on the real thing. I think they might be on the Super Tucano??? Five minutes with some masking tape and Tamiya putty and the offending holes were filled. I'll tidy them up tomorrow night.

IMG20181118124628.jpg

IMG20181118124607.jpg

More to come...

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 6

It is looking really good so far. I can't wait to see the result.

That particular vent exists on the port side only. While not a great representation of the real vent, HB got it at least half right. You might want to rescribe them on the port side. Here are some photos of 312-JD that show the vent on this side.

Starboard side photo

Port side photo

Edited by CaracalModels

Man! A photo always turns up debunking what you did! I hadn't seen that one. Thansk for the images though. Better now than when paint goes onto it. 

Can't wait for those decals of yours to turn up too.

Before heading to work this morning I hit the offending vent with some Tamiya Lacquer thinner and a stiff bristle brush. Pretty happy with the result.

IMG20181119070843.jpg

Of course I had to check the installation of the Pavla seats. I think they came out well. Only thing I need to do is check their height.

IMG20181119070800.jpg

IMG20181119070815.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Hi all.

Not a productive weekend here as the weather in South East Queensland has been warm and not exactly conducive to sitting in the workshop for periods of time. It's going to be another warm week here with temps in the low 30's (C) and low humidity.

I've only managed to get the canopy attached, of course not forgetting the debris shield separating the fore and rear 'pits.

Hopefully I'll be back with more later in the week when it cools down a bit.

Cheers,

Mick

IMG20181125143621.jpg

IMG20181125143636.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well it's been a bit more than 'soon' as per @CaracalModels post previously!

In my best Luke Skywalker voice while doing the trench run on the Death Star... "Almost...there...."

I'd had the model primed in Tamiya Fine White primer for AGES but decided it was a bit too stark. So I made up a 50:50 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and Gunze H-338 Light Ghost Gray thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Once applied and cured it was a few hours of masking and it was ready for the red.

I'll put a caveat here, there are photos from my phone. No super sharp but I can assure you the delineation between the white and red is nice and neat...phew!!

Cheers,

Mick

T17.jpg

T18.jpg

Followed by Tamiya LP-4 Pure Red from their lacquer paint range...followed by a few touch ups.

T10.jpg

T15.jpg

Pardon the blurry phone pic.

T12.jpg

T13.jpg

T14.jpg

Tamiya X-22 gloss applied followed by neat lacquer thinner to make it nice and glassy.

T8.jpg

T6.jpg

T5.jpg

Caracal decals applied. I encountered a bit of a problem here. The original aircraft was going to bee the farewell scheme from their sheet however the pilot figure that adorns the fin/rudder needs to be cut to shape first before it is positioned above and below the horizontal stab. I'm trying to get this finished for a show this weekend so did away with the heartache of trying to cut decals to match; I might save it for another day.

The great thing about the decals however was that they'reprinted by Cartograf and performed really well with Mocroset/sol. They slurped down into the detail without any issues.

T3.jpg

T2.jpg

Hopefully the final assembly will happen tonight.

• Like 2