Da Nang chivalry: F-4B Phantom II "Black Knights"

Hi everyone. At the risk of becoming south Cambridgeshire's answer to @corsaircorp (I can but dream!), I've dragged another box out of my stash, keeping my gaze averted from the queue of kits waiting their turn for airbrush treatment. A/b time is limited right now, and the onset of autumn always seems to make me want to start a big project.  This time it's one of the bigger boxes in my stash, Academy's well known Phantom, in the Grey Ghosts F-4B/N boxing. I love the Phantom in much the same way that I love the P-47: big, tough, powerful and capable. Yet I've never built one. About time I rectified that. I don't know all that much about the airframe, though, so if anyone has any helpful info, please let me know!

resized_ca3aff4e-f38e-49de-b3ad-9588b58a

Despite being a Gray Ghosts, only one of the three supplied schemes features that squadron. I want to build an earlier line bird and so I'm going for BuNo. 152274 from the Black Knights' 1966 deployment to Da Nang.

resized_ded13efd-8627-4e7e-8650-af44310f

Beautiful, eh? From what I can tell, the squadron flew almost exclusively CAS, and so any ordnance will be bomb-heavy. Academy provide Mk.82s, but otherwise I'm going after market with some Brassin napalm canisters. Different squadron, but here's a good pic of a napalm loaded F-4 with Marine CO:

http://www.mofak.com/images/MooseNapeLoadRVN.jpg

As Academy also provide crew, I think I'll give them a go and depict it ready for taxying. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hello Mr A

Greaaaaat choice, I've some doc about "Diesel smoke" so feel free to ask !

Welcome in the serial starter group !! we are a lot here in the nasty corner !

I used the resin cockpit in mine but it was a nightmare, not sure that I would do it again.

The kit itself is really good. Da Nang … Heavy weathering is "De rigueur"

I'll follow if you Don't mind, I no longer promise about trying to behave !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Do not use an Aires resin cockpit for ANY Academy 'Tooms!

It's a nightmare (talking from experience)

Hello Christer !

Yes a nightmare but I did it !

The Academy interior is quite good but ….

I think for that job, cutting the console from the resin parts and put it on the plastic one will be easier.

Hello Mr A

I have the IDS for the navy phantoms, I'll post pictures from the internals if you need it !

More Phantoms, That's a right way for me, My favs are First the Corsair, then Phantom and third Intruder !!

Whatever, it's a great choice and the proof that you're a man of great taste !!

Sincerely.

CC

Just remember this the landing gear is tricky as its installed early and very fragile. Ask me how i know. 🤬 There was an ordnance shortage in late ‘66-early ‘67 so not always full racks on planes. The marines and navy also were using up WW2/Korean war stockpiles. The incident on the USS Forrestal was a result of this. Its not unreasonable to hang those types of bombs on the racks. I have a “J” based at DaNang in 69 with a partial rack. And an A-4 at Chu Lai in ‘66 with WW2 500lbers on the outer pylons. Sometimes F-4’s would carry zuni twin pods on there sidewinder stations, like those used on F-8’s. 

t6DgJOn.png

S4gmq1N.png

YAujnOX.png

LufUrcE.png

CpH4lNU.png

EiX9Aj7.png

9G2dnIm.png

fSEiP6c.png

Yes I included F-8’s & A-4’s but all are USMC/USN. I just post these to give you an idea of whats possible. 

Dennis

PS- all photo rights belong to original owners. These are posted strictly for informational use only. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the advice and the great photos, chaps.

22 hours ago, Christer A said:

Do not use an Aires resin cockpit for ANY Academy 'Tooms!

Nope, not going near one for this build. If I'm putting the crew in, it seems a waste to cover up so much of the resin detail anyway. Also, now that it's autumn, any resin sanding needs to be done outside as ventilation in our house isn't great. 

22 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The kit itself is really good. Da Nang … Heavy weathering is "De rigueur"

I'll follow if you Don't mind, I no longer promise about trying to behave !

Misbehave away, CC  :)  Are you heading to Telford this year?

There are a couple of things that are going to prove challenging to me on this build: the metal tones on the exhaust and heat-shielding, the engine intakes, and weathering a white/grey bird. So please let me know what beers I should drink before I tackle the tricky stuff.

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sometimes F-4’s would carry zuni twin pods on there sidewinder stations

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The marines and navy also were using up WW2/Korean war stockpiles.

Awesome photos, Dennis, thanks. I read that the Black Knights were frequent users of Zunis and napalm, but I felt that getting AM ordnance for both was a little excessive. So it'll just be the Brassin napalm canisters:

resized_c45e3f61-6571-41d2-8c13-96e01987

Anyhoo, I've made a start on the cockpit with the hairy stick:

resized_8e455b8a-3c27-4833-8854-bbc1358b

Some touching up needed on the sills, and I really ought to put some colour on that prominent display for the RIO, I think. Here it is with the seat and headless pilot installed

resized_ca50912a-9ea2-4d31-b2b8-0b7bf4ec

I think the crew figures are sufficiently well detailed that they'll look fine under some olive fatigue colour with white helmets. Might be replacing those ejection handles, though!

Thanks

Chris

• Like 3

Hello Mr A,

if it can help, here are some pics from the IDS, as one can see, the cockpits are not so colourfull.

WP_20181108_13_23_17_ProWP_20181108_13_23_43_ProWP_20181108_13_23_59_Pro

And now the RIO desk

WP_20181108_13_23_29_ProWP_20181108_13_23_47_ProWP_20181108_13_23_53_Pro

The pics are from a F-4N, wich is basically a -B but modernized, mainly on the 2 smoke generators and external aerials.

Otherwise, the cockpit layout is the same, may be a gizmo or 2 that can be a bit différents.

I based my own interior on these pics.

Great job on your ! You will surely finish her far ahead of me.

But I must say that I wasted a great deal of time in using the Resin cockpit.

Good job, keep carry on and I hope that it help...

Yup, I use some Waterloo strong dark for the job  :cheers:

And sob sob, alas No, no Telford for me this year...:tumble:

But next year… I'll be back with more ammos…. And some kits !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're off to a nice start with the cockpit Chris and those napalm tanks, while nasty stuff in reality, will make for an interesting and uncommonly seen loadout for your model while being historically accurate :speak_cool:

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

...from a F-4N, which is basically a -B but modernized, mainly on the 2 smoke generators...

Took me a minute but :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some splendid Phantoms at Telford, but no Black Knights that I could see! 

I've been working on the crew, though my figure painting skills are rather rusty. I'm not sure about the hands; I've seen some photos of crew with yellow gloves, which may look better.

resized_914690eb-9cea-476f-825b-72d53899

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello, all, and apologies for the unscheduled two month break. The mojo often seems to disappear in the run-up to Christmas, and a short break after Scale Model World stretched out. I did spend plenty of time practicing the figure painting skills by doing up some miniatures for my son's zombie game (Zombicide), but I was super lazy and left the Phantom parts on the bench all the time, and dropped a couple of paint bottles on the crew. No lasting damage, though!

With the 'pit done, Academy suggest that it's time to tackle the propulsion system before closing up the fuselage. Jet intakes and exhausts are not an area that I feel too confident with, but here goes. At this point, the exhausts comprise three parts: a fan, a pipe, and the exhaust petals. Only the latter are really going to be visible without a penlight exam, so I hit them with some Vallejo Metal Color Exhaust Manifold, some washes, and some pastels. The fan and pipe are just simple Aluminium with a wash.

m_PoXG5S2fh4ZZkk8algqOFVgpwCRiQ6oOYrVmRg

And the intakes received a few coats of white after hitting the seams with some Mr Surfacer in a largely unsuccessful attempt to hide them. The flash here over-emphasises the slightly rough finish achieved by sanding the front edges before letting the paint dry fully (dimwit!)

KRRh1vdbbyiQxiEuqrkXgmNDY1Oy8Wtr1xq2tXyr

Time to close her up. A moment of panic as I put the pilot in place, realised he wouldn't fit under the ejection seat handles if the seat is already in situ, then found he was pretty well impossible to remove. But some wiggling did the job, and now they're in.

AgoKxZbst_E8mEeS03MjadTvxvtT7LSqqDvHbUXo

eZPOXXjrl4oHgbn98vP_2PcjD8iG7w5zcqNdBMuy

Suddenly it's all coming together!

• Like 7

Thanks, Christer. This Lego model didn't, though! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rx79gez8gundam/24366478919/in/photostream/

The intakes extend further forward, and I think the sensors are closer to the front lip. I can't see any indication that Academy have included them in the kit, though, so I should add them.

• Like 2

Not the time frame but the same squadron same combat zone, note Sidewinders with empty TERs on the inboard pylons with a Mk-77 left on the belly, no doubt just returned from a mission:

Phantom Jet On Flight Line, 12 July 1968

edit: a few more pics here:

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Jari, nice pics! Interesting to note the drop tanks as well, I wasn't sure whether/where they might be carried with a napalm load.

I strongly suspect that my mojo will wilt in the face of ordnance once the airframe is finished and a new kit beckons, so I've decided to start the ordnance now. The kit comes with slick Mk 82s, but I would think that they'd be an odd thing to carry with napalm, and perhaps I should be putting snake-eyes on. I'll search the stash; primary suspects are an A-6 and A-7, but if not then I guess it'll be more resin. (Seems a waste, doesn't it? Using resin for something as mundane as a Mk 82.)

• Like 2

Here are the squadron reports from VMFA - 314:

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/VMFA - 314.htm

the Debriefing Reports give details of each mission, the weapon loads have specific codes, i have managed to decipher most of them:

USMC Weapon Codes Vietnam

D 1 - Mk-81 250lb bomb  
D 2 - Mk-82 500lb bomb    
D 3 - Mk-83 1000lb bomb  
D 4 - Mk-84 2000lb bomb
D 5 - 2.75" rocket (19 tube pod)  
D 6 - AN-M66 2000lb      
D 7 - 5" Zuni rocket (4 tube pod LAU-10 or 2 tube LAU-33/35)  
D 8 - Mk-20 Rockeye  
D 9 - Mk-77 500lb naplam  
D 10 - ??  
D 11 - CBU-1A/A  
D 12 - ??  
D 13 - ??  
D 14 - CBU-24      
D 15 - CBU-29/49 (both use SUU-30 dispenser)  
D 16 - AIM-7  
D 17 - AIM-9    
D 18 - AGM-12 Bullpup 
D 19 - AGM-45 Shrike  
D 20 - 20mm  
D 21 - Mk-12 smoke tank  
D 22 - SUU-40 flare pod (listed as D22A)  
D 23 - Napalm size ?? (listed as D23A)
D 24 - Mk-4 gun pod    
D 25 - AN-M65 1000lb bomb  
D 26 - M117 750lb bomb  
D 27 - MK-36 Destructor (Mk-82 mine) 
D 28 - ??  
D 29 - AN-M59 1000lb SAP bomb    
D 30 - CBU-29A/B ? ? ?  
D 31 - AGM-62 Walleye  
D 32 - Mk-77 with CS gas      

Unknown Weapon Codes  

AN-M64 - 500lb GP bomb