Frankenschmitt (1/72 Tamiya/ICM Bf109E-3 crosskit)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again sports(?) fans!

It's been a while as I've wrestled with work commitments, crushing depression, the holiday season, Fallout 76 (for those who care, it's not great, but it's not as bad as say, being stabbed or set on fire), and inertia. But I've still been working on this bad boy, I promise.

So, I closed up the fuselage easily enough, and added the wings with little difficulty: 

20181125_192235

I initially used the Tamiya lower cowl, but forgot to put in the intake ramping and destroyed it trying to remove it. Idiot. But here the essential beauty of using two kits came into play, and I just used the ICM part (with Tamiya intake ramp) and it fit beautifully. 

20181125_191955

20181125_191948

The Tamiya upper cowl (and for that matter the lower cowl as well) are made from thicker plastic than the ICM parts (or not, the ICM upper cowl famously fits like a ballerina's corset on an operatic mezzosoprano) and need a little shaving down on the inside with a hobby knife. I still had to clamp the upper cowl: 

20181125_192725

But still, easy peasy. You'll note I forgot the seat armour -- had to remove the hood and then add the armour. and then masked the canopy:

20181125_210124

Really a very easy crosskit so far.

• Like 15

I still don't get why you're doing this crosskitting, but the endresult sure looks like a fine 109!

(Fallout 76? Glutton for punishment are you? With Battletech Flashpoint releasing tomorrow there is a better alternative you know ;) )

Edited by Christer A

45 minutes ago, Christer A said:

(Fallout 76? Glutton for punishment are you? With Battletech Flashpoint releasing tomorrow there is a better alternative you know ;) )

Well I love Fallout (not that I don't love Battletech...as I never tire of mentioning, but others rapidly tire of hearing, I got to design a few published variants a few years back...heck, in theory, they may even someday publish the unit profile I wrote for them) and so I figured what they hey. My Fallout experience over the last twenty years has probably been missing many things, but I doubt one of them was a guy yelling "seig heil" and speaking in an affected b-movie German accent in between arguing with his roommate about cherry vodka. And yet here we are. However, I found the Battletech PC game a little repetitive over time, and TBQH, unless it's for the greater glory of House Davion, it's tough to get me out of bed, y'know?

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

YOU'RE building a 109?!?!?

Seasonal affective disorder takes many forms, my friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ah, you've given the game away :)

Still, you have done a good job of sticking them on. I think these are very good product/idea. I used one for the first time on a F4F Wildcat and have to say they are well worth spending a few pounds on, especially for the more complex canopies.

• Like 1

Hullo all, 

Sorry for the slow pace of updates, it's that time of year. We've already had a blizzard (with Mrs P getting a day off of work because the power at her school was knocked out) and an ice storm, and it's hovered at 25 F most of the week (about -4 C). It seems to warming up, as it usually does around now, so the snow will melt and then it will immediately get cold again, so that everything looks dingy and depressing for the next five months. Hurrah.

The kit is now at the boring stage where I have to do a lot of little things before I can do the fun big things like priming and painting. 

20181201_004156

I've masked off the wheels and have to work on the nose seams a little more.

I also painted the interior colour for the canopy, and the exhaust colour, and then masked the latter:

20181201_002100

You can also kind of see the little piece of paper I jammed in the nose to protect the black engine block from all the white paint we're going to be spraying over the cowling. 

• Like 12

Nice to get the nasty bits out of the way PC, especially considering the nasty weather you're having too…

I'm with you at this time of year - dark in the mornings, sun dribbles away late afternoon… the Bear in me just wants to hibernate :) 

• Like 3

Well, you freezing persons could all be living here- 36-38C every day for the last 10 days or so (the temp was the highest ever recorded here the other day, 40.7C) and humid, and we have bushfires further up the valley. Not at all fun. But neither is grey slush either, I imagine.

109 is looking rather 109ish PC, and quite lovingly assembled. Top marks that man!

Hi, guys! While Procopius digs himself out from under the snow, and there's a break in the action, I thought I would post this link to lighten up the proceedings somewhat. Hoping it will not offend anyone- if so, I will remove it. Made me giggle when a modeling buddy sent it to me. P- your '109 is looking really good- can't wait to see the finished product! I've got three ICM and four Tamiya E's- now I see what to do with them! @dogsbody How about a little warning before you fire off a funny? I spit popcorn all over the instruction sheet to my Tamiya P-47D when I read it...gotta remember that one!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9qH27WUvc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Mr. P,

just stumbled on your thread a few minutes ago. To be honest, I did not know you could build anything but Spitfires, which, don't get me wrong, is a very commendable addiction. In my world, several addictions are indeed very commendable! I like my world.

But a 109? Woah!!! And why keep it simple when it can be made as difficult as possible? Now you're talking! That has been and still is, the story of my life!!!

Beautiful so far, and it can only get better. Congrats!!!

Just one thing I picked up, and I have to be the one who spits in the potage, even if nobody gives a damn. The seat belts, as nice as they are, are not the ones fitted on the Emil, which should go through the backrest of the seat. Your seat belts are the ones found on subsequent versions of the 109.

I told you that you would not care!

Anyway, I like your model very much.

JR

2 minutes ago, jean said:

Just one thing I picked up, and I have to be the one who spits in the potage, even if nobody gives a damn. The seat belts, as nice as they are, are not the ones fitted on the Emil, which should go through the backrest of the seat. Your seat belts are the ones found on subsequent versions of the 109.

GOD DAMN IT

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

[grunt]

20181205_193954

HUT!

20181205_194005

GRNRGGHH!

20181205_194157

HNRGH!

20181205_194149

Tada!

20181205_194440

I do it all for all of you. 

I've sanded down the turtledecking and repainted it as well.

• Like 14