New 1/72nd Airfix Phantom FGR.2

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

when one considers that Airfix are only producing kits of aircraft which they can either LIDAR or have access to official plans.  

There is no Whitley to LIDAR, nor a B-17 fitted for H2S, and "official plans" for the former are also very very thin on the ground, but Airfix have made a handsome fist of both of these subjects.  Agreed some of the errors and omissions of the Phantom kit are incomprehensible but we all make mistakes, as the short-sighted Dalek said dismounting from a dustbin.

Edited by stever219
Lousy auto-incorrect again.
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone, that's very kind of you all.

Do you do you own photography 'cos they look smart?

Thanks, I do. Everything is photographed here at the 'Plum Duff Studios', in the lofty heights of Melchett Towers, (well OK, attic mancave/studio/office cum games station) and then sent on to the AMW designer who edits them for publication. I've just managed to snag a Nikon 60mm 2.8G DX macro lens for my D7500 so it's been fun trying that out in conjunction with three 360 remote studio strobe flashes. 

What happened to the top rear of the fin tip?

That's a good point Chris!.. looking back at the in-progress images it would seem to be a short-shot part and I never even noticed, lol. It's fixed now so I'll retake the photos and repost them very soon.

I'm surprised they let you display it on the Airfix stand with the improvements you made, but I guess it will be clearly marked as such?

Thanks, it will be stated that a fair bit of aftermarket has been used on this one. The reason these were used for the article was because the FG.1 had already appeared in AMW on its release and all initial releases are built as they come in the box, (with a few exceptions, seat belts, aerials etc). Subsequent versions can have AM applied and as the FGR.2 was essentially the same kit with the necessary mods, it used the AM extras to show what could be done with the basic kit, (I did the same with the Victor K2 recently). I'll also have the new Hunter F6 there too, as well as another Wellington Mk1C, (this time using the kit decals) and the 'Desert Warrior' B-25D, these were all built OOB.

Shameless plug: the Hunter appears in this months AMW for anyone interested...

we all make mistakes, as the short-sighted Dalek said discounting from a dustbin.

Ha, been there, done that.......still owes me five Skarovian Dollars!

:cheers: 

Melchie

Andy,

That's about as perfect a Phantom as I have seen- in any scale! As others have stated, my favorite version, scheme, and ordnance load. If I can only do one quarter as well...

Are we going to see a Melchie incarnation of the new 1/48 Airfix XIVe, perhaps? (I can already see the aftermarket cranking out an XVIIIe  fin and rudder for it as we speak!)

Mike

aka Recording Secretary of the General Melchett fan club in the Colonies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

There is no Whitley to LIDAR, nor a B-17 fitted for H2S, and "official plans" for the former are also very very thin on the ground, but Airfix have made a handsome fist of both of these subjects.  Agreed some of the errors and omissions of the Phantom kit are incomprehensible but we all make mistakes, as the short-sighted Dalek said discounting from a dustbin.

I believe it was their stated aim. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Did you do anything to the panel lines? They look pleasantly restrained.

I'd imagine that it's direct lighting and none of that silly panel line wash nonsense. But I have been known to be wrong. Regularly and often.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, look forward to meeting up with many of you at the weekend...

Firstly, I've updated the images as I needed to correct the rear of the fin tip as mentioned by Chris earlier in the thread. Seems that a short-shot part had crept under the radar....quite unforgivable. Anyhow it's sorted now.

Mike,

Are we going to see a Melchie incarnation of the new 1/48 Airfix XIVe, perhaps? (I can already see the aftermarket cranking out an XVIIIe  fin and rudder for it as we speak!)

Never say never...though no plans are underway at the mo..........just have to wait and see what Mr Airfix has for us next year! :wicked:

Did you do anything to the panel lines? They look pleasantly restrained.

Rob hit the nail on the head PC...I'm not really a fan of coloured in panel lines and much prefer using alternating tones of the base colour to define the panels themselves, using lightened areas to reflect the tones above and darker beneath, (modulation to represent the effects of direct sunlight and shadow and hopefully take into consideration the scale effect). The panel lines are still too pronounced on some of these new Airfix kits for my liking but a little application of Mr Dissolved Putty goes a long way towards blasting the blighters out. I'm finding the 1/48th offerings generally better in this respect, the new Hunter is definitely going in the right direction...

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, general melchett said:

Luckily my old mucka Ali Mclean came to the rescue by kindly sending a few of his lovely new Aeroscale upgrade sets designed for the kit.

Stunning "conversion". Could you provide a link to Ali's website or to where he sells his Phantom upgrades, please?

Thanks,

Gene K

• Like 1

Ohhhh luverly. A mud moving spook. Excellent job, really looks the business.  

A very different load, but one that was seen on TV. See the start of the OTR at 5:20, finished load at 14:00.

Rob.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Like 1