New 1/72nd Airfix Phantom FGR.2

Phabulous, just phabulous!  

Looks very special, and I hope you don't mind me saying, much better here than in the magazine article where the paint colours didn't look quite right to my eye. Despite its detractors, I really like this kit and can't wait to get started on the FGR.2 - got a couple on order.

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Just a quick fun build says the General. Its better than anything I will ever build...

Yup - I'm with you - its a choice between giving up or just trying harder. I pendulum between these extremes!

Bl***y lovely Phantom.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, as always very much appreciated.

Looks very special, and I hope you don't mind me saying, much better here than in the magazine article where the paint colours didn't look quite right to my eye.

Thanks Rich, something to do with the printing or design process maybe, this is how it looks in reality.

Despite its detractors, I really like this kit and can't wait to get started on the FGR.2 - got a couple on order.

Must agree, with a bit of work (and maybe some aftermarket) it builds up into a lovely model. I quite fancy getting another and going for an early 17 squadron bird...

Horatio, my fellow Gruntfuttock, I've often 'pendulumed' between extremes, usually following a particularly vigorous session of whisky-fuelled Mahjong with the Memsahib where following her inevitable and overwhelming victory she often screams at me 'just try harder man, it's easier than you think'........I think! :rage:

Held off from the FG 1 version, I fear the Bank Card is in for a belting.

Go on PLC, be reckless, give the card a damn good thrashing, you won't regret it...  :whistle:

• Haha 1

Beautifully done. Carefully detailed - e.g. the red edges to the control surfaces. Love it. What happened to the top rear of the fin tip?

Must have a look into how far the Dark Sea Grey goes into the intake on these early FGR2s.

• Like 1

That's a superb looking Phantom, Melchie. A beautiful paint finish and impressive load out.  I have the Royal Navy incarnation in the stash and, not being an expert on the type, I was surprised to hear of the various errors/omissions in the kit (not that I would have noticed!), especially when one considers that Airfix are only producing kits of aircraft which they can either LIDAR or have access to official plans.  Having said that your model just goes to show what a superb result can be achieved. 

• Like 1